Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I’ve read so much on this, and know that I should take the pool stores guidance with a grain of salt. Typically, it is to buy product. I even went to second store and was surprised they brushed me off when I was concerned about .5ppm CC.
I have a salt pool, above ground, fiberglass, about 11,000 Gallons. I use the Taylor K-2006C test kit. I’m preparing to leave town for a few weeks and leaving my pool in the hands of some friends and want to make sure I’m walking away with peace of mind that everything is balanced.
Yesterday morning my readings were:
FC 3.8
CC .6
Ph 7.8
Alk 140 (unadjusted for CYA)
CYA 65
Temp 85
Salt 3400

My water is very clear.
the pool store wanted me to adjust oh and then add 2.25 lbs of Super Soluble. This did not sit right with me so using another calculator I have I only added about .75 pounds of super soluble after adjusting my PH. I did this yesterday afternoon.
This AM my FC is 7.5 and CC is still .5

will CC take a while to go down? Did I not do enough? At 10x, I would think FC of 6ppm+ would reduce CC.

the pool dealers in my area are not helpful. One is always trying to convert me off salt.

Should I be concerned about these numbers?

Welcome to TFP.

Super Soluble is Dichlor, so every time you add it you are increasing your CYA. By adding 0.75lb of Super Soluble you added 4.1ppm of CYA. Next time you need to either increase your FC or SLAM use Liquid Chlorine/Bleach.

CC of 0.5 is not usually of concern. It should be oxidized either by your FC or by sunlight. I'd be more worried with a FC so close to the minimum (see FC/CYA Levels).
What your bather load looks like recently? Many kids?
Did you test you water yesterday after bumping up your chlorine?

the pool dealers in my area are not helpful. One is always trying to convert me off salt.
If your pool is trouble free there is nothing they can sell you ;)

Can you Create Your Signature? - Further Reading That will help people to help you.

Always round your cya reading up if between numbers. With cya of 70, your target FC is 5, so your barely over target at 6. Particularly now that you have added more cya. I would try to maintain never below target, especially if you have some concerns. Or when others taking care of pool. A little insurance.
A CC of .5 isn’t generally a big concern, also rises when chlorine working on other stuff besides algae. Sweat, body oils etc. generally burns off during daylight.

Welcome to TFP.

Super Soluble is Dichlor, so every time you add it you are increasing your CYA. By adding 0.75lb of Super Soluble you added 4.1ppm of CYA. Next time you need to either increase your FC or SLAM use Liquid Chlorine/Bleach.

CC of 0.5 is not usually of concern. It should be oxidized either by your FC or by sunlight. I'd be more worried with a FC so close to the minimum (see FC/CYA Levels).

Can you Create Your Signature? - Further Reading That will help people to help you.
Thank you. We’ve had a tremendous amount of rain in the last week. So no bather load, but lots of rain water. I hear what you’re saying about the super Soluble. I actually mentioned to the lady that I had been having a CYA issue. Last time I was in there they told me my CYA was low so I added some and then through testing it registered over 100. I had to drain and add water. So frustrating! I told her this when she wanted me to use super soluble and said I’ve been having a CYA issue. Her response was “well it’s stabilized chlorine.”She clearly didn’t understand what stabilizes it!

I have referenced the CYA/ FC chart. So according to that chart, we are ok to re enter the pool with FC at 7.5 and CC at .5? Tc8?

Welcome to TFP.

Welcome to TFP.

Reactions: Msch99
Thank you. We’ve had a tremendous amount of rain in the last week. So no bather load, but lots of rain water. I hear what you’re saying about the super Soluble. I actually mentioned to the lady that I had been having a CYA issue. Last time I was in there they told me my CYA was low so I added some and then through testing it registered over 100. I had to drain and add water. So frustrating! I told her this when she wanted me to use super soluble and said I’ve been having a CYA issue. Her response was “well it’s stabilized chlorine.”She clearly didn’t understand what stabilizes it!

I have referenced the CYA/ FC chart. So according to that chart, we are ok to re enter the pool with FC at 7.5 and CC at .5? Tc8?
Also, I forgot to change the chart to SWG, so my target should be 5 it appears.

Reactions: Msch99
Looks like there is something in your water that is consuming small amounts of chlorine and generating small amounts of chloramines.

I’m a little paranoid with my stuff, so I’d do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to check for chlorine loss. If there is chlorine loss then I’d start a SLAM Process.

Did you add any other chemicals? It is also possible something was added to your water that is registering as CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.