Combined Chlorine Problem-help!

Yes now that I have the kit, i can definitely monitor

What about being in NJ helps me get away with trichlor-just wondering?

Should i still stay away from it while SLAMing? I am picturing it putting chlorine in the pool all night and giving me a false higher reading
You will probably drain the pool down 1/3rd to close it in the winter. That will also lower the CYA level. When you refill the pool you test the CYA and determine how long you can operate with trchlor before you need to switch to liquid chlorine.

You will probably drain the pool down 1/3rd to close it in the winter. That will also lower the CYA level. When you refill the pool you test the CYA and determine how long you can operate with trchlor before you need to switch to liquid chlorine.
i normally do not drain it down, we put a cover over the skimmer mouth
but some years, we lose water anyway which i think comes through the cover when it gets weighed down from snow/ice

Lots of rain, short pool season, partial draining for winter ... all of which might keep the CYA rise under control.
Ah that makes sense, thanks

If i go by the pool school recommendation for chlorinating my pool and use liquid chlorine, does that mean i am testing the chlorine every day using the powder test?
If so, i guess i would wonder what time of day to test/add for daily maintenance (since with tri chlor i really only needed to check it once a week). Or is it just do it at the same time every day?

Just the same time everyday. Many like to add the bleach in the evenings about an hour before the pump turns off so the higher FC level lasts all night.

As you get to know your pool better, you may be able to use the yellow OTO test on a daily basis and use the FAS-DPD less often.

ok so my readings before going to sleep at 12am

FC 15.5
CC 1.0 -not sure why that crept up (maybe all the non chlorine shock i added 5 days ago is still in the pool a bit showing as CC)
CYA-dosed it at around 7pm with pool math to get me to 35.

got a little heavy handed with the bleach, was aiming for 14 FC

let's see what happens in the morning

Last edited:
Reactions: jblizzle
7am-the sun was already on 3/4 of the ppol for approx 30 mins

FC 14.5 -only lost 1.0 and could have been a little sun anyway
CC-still 1.0 but at this point i have to believe that is some of the non-chlorine shock still showing up

pool is unbelievably clear. I know i havent technically passed the CC test, but that confounding factor of the non chlorine shock tells me i might be done. Also thinking that some of the FC would have converted to CC if it was in fact being used on something organic. Either way, I am still at SLAM level right now anyway

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
checked chlorine before bed
FC 6.5
CC .5
CYA 40

think i am in good shape now. is it weird that i lost 8 FC during the day today? I wasn't sure if CYA stabilizes all FC or just to a certain point and 14.5 was too much for 40 CYA to handle. Not that I want to keep 14.5, just was surprised to see it drop that far. If it matters, the CYA was added 24 hours ago (from a starting point of 0)-so most of the day it was still under the 24 hour "test me" window

Given the MPS conundrum, I think I'd give it another day and one more oclt and call it good if you pass
@jblizzle
I am presently doing a SLAM again-i see in pool school that MPS will throw off/count as either FC or CC (there must be a typo because pool school says both). It has been like 7 weeks since i added all of that MPS-is there any chance that is still in the pool and skewing my results or is it long gone?

The false high readings caused by MPS are a result of its chemical interference with the R-0003 drops. Because MPS interacts with potassium iodide, you can get false Total Chlorine and Combine Chlorine readings. Taylor Technologies discusses it in this technical write up -

The false high readings caused by MPS are a result of its chemical interference with the R-0003 drops. Because MPS interacts with potassium iodide, you can get false Total Chlorine and Combine Chlorine readings. Taylor Technologies discusses it in this technical write up -

thanks-i actually did check that out, but assumed 2 months later it should be gone

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.