Combined chlorine going higher despite slamming

Please don't try to find any obscure causes. You need to stay with mainstream issues and I can tell you that testing error is often a huge problem.....ammonia and grass clippings are not. Okay, that's perfectly normal. I want you to test again sometime convenient before dark.....maybe 7-8 PM and let us know the FC. I really don't care about the CC or any of the other tests.....post them if you want but I am ONLY concerned with this huge FC drop.

I am assuming your FC was somewhere around 19-20 or so this AM and you have not added any since that AM test, is that right? Please don't add any chlorine to the pool until AFTER you test this evening.

Durleigh,
I didn't see your message until today. Yesterday I added chlorine 4 times. The 18 was 1 1/2 hours after I put in 128 oz of 10% which put me at 20ppm. About 5:30pm, I tested and it had fallen to 16 ppm. After dark last night I bumped my pool up to 19ppm. I rechecked at 7 am today. It was 13ppm. I added 101 of 10%. My pool gets full sun until 6:30 pm and then the house starts to shade it. I do not use solar covers. Can you tell me how/ when you want me to test and add chlorine today? I'll record the results/ times. Thanks

At this point, and with a clear pool, I would like to simply record your 24 hour loss and nighttime loss.

1. So, test @ 7:00 AM each morning like you have done and then replenish back to 20 ppm (makes the math a little easier)

2. Test again after the sun is well off the pool....maybe around 7:30 or so your time. Replenish to 20 ppm again.

3. Test again at 7:00 PM and then replenish to 20 ppm again

So your next test and addition will be tonight around 7:00 (or something close to that if it's more convenient).

Let's get your daily 24 hour loss and your nighttime loss well established and go from there. I suspect your FC loss is diminishing but let's prove it.

At this point, and with a clear pool, I would like to simply record your 24 hour loss and nighttime loss.

1. So, test @ 7:00 AM each morning like you have done and then replenish back to 20 ppm (makes the math a little easier)

2. Test again after the sun is well off the pool....maybe around 7:30 or so your time. Replenish to 20 ppm again.

3. Test again at 7:00 PM and then replenish to 20 ppm again

So your next test and addition will be tonight around 7:00 (or something close to that if it's more convenient).

Let's get your daily 24 hour loss and your nighttime loss well established and go from there. I suspect your FC loss is diminishing but let's prove it.

Duraleigh,
I could start that tomorrow since I have already rechecked and added chlorine before your post.

09/14/16 7:00 am 13 ppm fc (added 101 oz 10%) 19 target 6 ppm loss
1:00 pm 11.5 ppm fc (added 128 oz 10%) 19 target 7.5 ppm loss

I'm losing a lot still. Do you still want me to follow your post advice? Should I recheck the pool after 15 or 30 minutes to see if the chlorine is working at 10%? I'm rechecking at 8 pm and bumping back up to 20 unless I hear from you.
Thank You

Yeah, let's stay on the schedule I suggested.

Test and add - 7:00 AM

test and add - 8:00 PM

We'll only do that for maybe three days but let's get a baseline of 24 hour and over night loss.

We'll get this figured out so you can close with a good pool that will open clear for you in the Spring.

9/14/16 (24 hour loss was 17ppm)

----------------------------------------

9/15/16 (5.5ppm loss overnight)

Pool still clear

Nervous about not checking or adding chlorine for 12 day time hours.
I predict my fc test result to be 7ppm tonight at 7pm.

Nervous about not checking or adding chlorine for 12 day time hours.
I predict my fc test result to be 7ppm tonight at 7pm.
Don't be....you have adequate chlorine to prevent algae and give you proper sanitation.

Please report your test results in ppm. I understand about your FC loss but it would be more clear if you would simply report the results (and how much you added)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, let's stay on the schedule I suggested.

Test and add - 7:00 AM

test and add - 8:00 PM

We'll only do that for maybe three days but let's get a baseline of 24 hour and over night loss.

We'll get this figured out so you can close with a good pool that will open clear for you in the Spring.

09/14/16 Wed
7:17 am FC- 13 ppm after testing, added 101 oz of 10% to return FC to 19 ppm
1:00 pm FC- 11.5 ppm after testing, added 128 oz of 10% to return FC to 19 ppm
7:15 pm FC- 15.5 ppm after testing, added 76 oz of 10% to return FC to 19 ppm

09/15/16 Thursday
7:00 am FC-14.5 ppm after testing, added 92 oz of 10% to return FC to 20 ppm
7:15 pm FC-12.5 ppm after testing, added 126 oz of 10% to return FC to 20 ppm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.