Coleman Power Steel Frame 18’ x 48” pool question

May 2, 2017
NC
Hi, long story short, have an intex 18' pool and the legs have rusted out bad after 1 year, had a 22' intex before that and it lasted 2 years before it rusted out... no i am not using salt water. Anyways I just bought a coleman pool from walmart(no little windows cause i know they leak), but still wondering if i should have stuck with another intex or are they all about the same. Also some tips on rust prevention would be helpful, I do plan on coating the inside of all the parts with a rust preventative this time.

I don’t know about the Coleman, the only pool I know for sure is different is the Intex XTR series. The XTR series coats the metal tubes on the inside at the factory, this was not done on previous Intex pools. Intex must also think it will last longer as the XTR series comes with a 2 year warranty, all other Intex series come with a 90 day warranty.

I’ve only had my XTR up since June of 2020 and it’s my first pool so I don’t have first hand experience on the lifespan. In fact the XTR series was new in 2019 so there’s not a whole lot of longevity information on it yet.

I don’t know about the Coleman, the only pool I know for sure is different is the Intex XTR series. The XTR series coats the metal tubes on the inside at the factory, this was not done on previous Intex pools. Intex must also think it will last longer as the XTR series comes with a 2 year warranty, all other Intex series come with a 90 day warranty.

I’ve only had my XTR up since June of 2020 and it’s my first pool so I don’t have first hand experience on the lifespan. In fact the XTR series was new in 2019 so there’s not a whole lot of longevity information on it yet.
yeah i saw intex's new pool series but there is no way i can afford that at my current state... the coleman was only $377 we are needing to buy a new lawn mower and didnt know our intex pool was shot so decided we wanted to be able to buy a nice zero turn instead, lol.

I don’t know anything about Coleman pools, but if you can get 3-4 years out of it, that’s not a bad return on investmen!

My first intex rusted in a couple years, so when I got my new one last year I decided to try some preventative measures. I have a prism frame. I sprayed all the metal pieces with rustoleum, including the inside of the tubes. When I put the pool up, I used silicone tape and wrapped where the tabs are so no water could get in. Less than a year later and I have rust, mostly at the T connections at the leg and top rail. Just my experience. I swear I think they make these pools in such a way so that you have to buy one every 2 or 3 years.

And the zero turn was a good choice. I love mine.

My first intex rusted in a couple years, so when I got my new one last year I decided to try some preventative measures. I have a prism frame. I sprayed all the metal pieces with rustoleum, including the inside of the tubes. When I put the pool up, I used silicone tape and wrapped where the tabs are so no water could get in. Less than a year later and I have rust, mostly at the T connections at the leg and top rail. Just my experience. I swear I think they make these pools in such a way so that you have to buy one every 2 or 3 years.

And the zero turn was a good choice. I love mine.
Do you recall about how many cans of Rustoleum it took and for how many coats? I’m looking to spray my 16’ x 48” Intex frame.

i have had Intex type pools for last 11 years. we just installed a 22 feet Coleman. I have always had similar problems with it rusting out. I researched it a lot and did the following on this latest install to help prevent rusting:
1) Sprayed Boeing T-9, bought it on Amazon inside any of the metal parts i could - it is a water displacement combined with a wax
2) put car wax on the outside of all metal pieces, including the horizontal pieces before you slide them through the liner
3) put poles on pavers that were leveled with the ground (keeps poles away from sand/dirt which hold moisture)
4) put a 1-2 foot ring of weed barrier covered in rock all the way around the pool (keeps grass, plants away from poles)
*** basically trying to ensure that water does not remain on any metal for an extended period of time

My next dilemma is how to keep water from frequent contact coming through the deck which overlaps the edge of the pool?

Reactions: Sarah2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.