Appleton WI
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Opening my pool this weekend, and my water is emerald green and cold. Last year my inaugural SLAM took about 3 weeks, likely my fault for not keeping my FC high enough consistently. I'm starting much earlier this year but I'm curious how effective I should expect my SLAM to be.

I know cold inhibits algal growth. I checked the chemistry, adjusted appropriately, and got to it. Anyone else have experience with a situation like this? The water is probably 45 to 50 degrees. I wouldn't think cold would have an effect on how chlorine kills algae, but would keep algae from growing as rapidly. Or am I way off base here?

Opening my pool this weekend, and my water is emerald green and cold. Last year my inaugural SLAM took about 3 weeks, likely my fault for not keeping my FC high enough consistently. I'm starting much earlier this year but I'm curious how effective I should expect my SLAM to be.

I know cold inhibits algal growth. I checked the chemistry, adjusted appropriately, and got to it. Anyone else have experience with a situation like this? The water is probably 45 to 50 degrees. I wouldn't think cold would have an effect on how chlorine kills algae, but would keep algae from growing as rapidly. Or am I way off base here?
Your chlorine will actually be more effective :D Heat degrades chlorine

:Note: Be sure to allow your water sample to warm to room temp (preferably over 60-65F) before testing for CYA
: Double Note: And be sure FC holds before adding CYA to your pool ;)

Oh, it's algae, not copper for sure. I can brush it around.
As for the note about CYA, I used dichlor to pump up my FC initially, because my CYA was zero (thank you Pool Math!) and I tested the before and after. Before, zero, after 30. Now it's bleach bleach and more bleach!

Oh, it's algae, not copper for sure. I can brush it around.
As for the note about CYA, I used dichlor to pump up my FC initially, because my CYA was zero (thank you Pool Math!) and I tested the before and after. Before, zero, after 30. Now it's bleach bleach and more bleach!
Glad it's all good!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.