Clueless about how to finish landscaping

May 16, 2018
Charlotte Hall, Maryland
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is going to be my 2nd year with a 12 x 24 x 52 oval. I installed a 22" retaining wall and I don't really like the transition i previously just wanted to taper the dirt from patio, but already dug down 2 foot to install pool. I am lost at what I can do without ripping everything out and starting over. I need options.

20220619_131330.jpg20220626_203656.jpg20210629_213040~2.jpg

What kinda budget are we looking at ?

I'm torn because that area is screaming to me that it needs a patio, but you can't 'sit around' the pool in a way that would enjoy the pool.

What about a deck that would put you at water level ? It could even be U shaped or semi circular to keep costs reasonable. Plus, lumber prices were back to earth a few weeks ago. No promises about next week but fingers crossed it remains reasonable.

Can we get some wide angles of the pool to see how it orients with the house ?

Also, meet my buddy @kimkats. She's like a lottery ball machine, except there are 99 ideas that pop out. Alls it takes is for you to like one of them. :)

I love what you did with the wall so far! That looks great with the lights and all.

I agree with @Newdude about a deck. What I see is a BIG area at one end with the house side being big enough for a chairs and a table between them. You will put landscaper cloth down with rocks over them for under the deck.

I would also like to see the pics Newdude asked for so we can really see what you are working with.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but code for a deck requiring a railing is 30" above ground level. Depending on the delta between the pool and the existing patio, you might not need a railing there, which would allows for a bunch of interesting transitions.

Reactions: Newdude
Depending on the delta between the pool and the existing patio, you might not need a railing there, which would allows for a bunch of interesting transitions.
Or a wide platform with full length stairs would only need railings on the ends.

*sticks tongue out side of mouth and draws like a 1st grader*

Screenshot_20230106_102254_Chrome.jpg

Dude can you find the guys thread where he made those kinds of steps up to? Cowboy Casey is his name but I can't find him right now on my phone.
It's not in his media. And there was an amazing multi level one with full width stairs up to a walkway on the long side with square platform on the short side but the name is escaping me at the moment. Something like Brent. I know you were there too. Had the whole family help with the build and then stained it.

@Brett S !!!!

And it's bloody AWESOME

Screenshot_20230106_115215_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Diane e and kimkats
@mgmercurio came up with a FANTASTIC design for an oval.

So my vote is Brett's deck with MG's curves. (y)

• Love
Reactions: kimkats
@Brett S !!!!

And it's bloody AWESOME

View attachment 467974

This is kinda what I had in mind. In not against the idea to tear down retaining wall and backfill. It's a 24" space in which pool is allowed to backfilled 27". I will run string line tomorrow to see what elevation differences are.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Or a wide platform with full length stairs would only need railings on the ends.

*sticks tongue out side of mouth and draws like a 1st grader*

View attachment 467957
I have taken down and rebuilt the wall 3 times. Yes, 3 times. I had some drywell issues the first year from being clogged and backwashing against pool. That has been fixed. Inwould like to backfill the area in yellow and place deck at elevation to top rails on pool. Ibwould need railing on deck, but per code a fence would not be needed. The backfill will be tapered to grade.

What kinda budget are we looking at ?

I'm torn because that area is screaming to me that it needs a patio, but you can't 'sit around' the pool in a way that would enjoy the pool.

What about a deck that would put you at water level ? It could even be U shaped or semi circular to keep costs reasonable. Plus, lumber prices were back to earth a few weeks ago. No promises about next week but fingers crossed it remains reasonable.

Can we get some wide angles of the pool to see how it orients with the house ?

Also, meet my buddy @kimkats. She's like a lottery ball machine, except there are 99 ideas that pop out. Alls it takes is for you to like one of them. :)
I'm a diyer and installed everything you see. Kinda just go by seat of my pants in reference to budgeting.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.