Jul 15, 2021
Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Good day all. I have a 70k gallon vinyl lined pool. I chlorinate with GLB Cal-Hypo 68%. I've been pre diluting and mixing off in a bucket when adding but this makes my water cloudy. It's been mid 90's to 100 plus here for the last month so I'm having to add daily to keep up with the correct amount of chlorine so the water stays cloudy day after day. I backwash every 2-3 days to try and clear it but I fear all I am doing is kicking cal-hypo out into the Ditch at this point. I'm only losing 1.5-2 ppm chlorine per day which in this heat seems to be normal. I am wondering if any more experienced people out there might have some suggestions. Also wondering if I should be on recirculation instead of filter when adding Cal-Hypo to the pool.
Test results are as follows:
FC 4.4
TC 4.4
PH 7.6
TA 139
CH 29
CYA 55
All testing is done with a lamotte pro 11 using new tubes and all new reagents. I've checked my results with local pool company and they match close enough to say my tester is calibrated correctly.

Make the switch from Cal Hypo to liquid chlorine and your cloudiness will go away. The very nature of Cal Hypo can cause cloudiness and over-saturation. I know it is a little more hassle but you will appreciate how clear your pool will be.

That CH of 39 for a test result doesn't look right?

Use liquid chlorine, or get a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. If you continue with Cal hypo, then calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool. This may solve your cloudiness issue. Also do not add any other products that change pH within 24 hours of adding calcium products. Doing so will cause cloudiness. Do not mix calcium in a small bucket of water. Calcium is exothermic and will generate heat when mixed with water to where it can cause burns or fires.

Filter position doesn't matter.

Happy Anniversary (join date)... Using 4 lbs 65% Cal-Hypo raises your FC in a 70k pool 4.4 ppm. It also raises CH by 3.1 ppm. In a month your CH would be 93, when using Cal-Hypo everyday. Is your LaMotte accurately reporting your CH level?

Using 3 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine raises you FC in a 70k pool by 4.3 ppm and a little salt. At those costs, as suggested above, a SWG is in your future.

Make the switch from Cal Hypo to liquid chlorine and your cloudiness will go away. The very nature of Cal Hypo can cause cloudiness and over-saturation. I know it is a little more hassle but you will appreciate how clear your pool will be.

That CH of 39 for a test result doesn't look right?
I would love to switch but the cheapest I can find chlorinating liquid in my area or surrounding areas is about $7 a gallon which seems pretty steep for only being 10% concentration. As far the CH it was testing at 0 the day before I added a large dose of cal-hypo. I would imagine by your question it should be much higher?
Use liquid chlorine, or get a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. If you continue with Cal hypo, then calcium products should be spread across the surface of the deep end of the pool. This may solve your cloudiness issue. Also do not add any other products that change pH within 24 hours of adding calcium products. Doing so will cause cloudiness. Do not mix calcium in a small bucket of water. Calcium is exothermic and will generate heat when mixed with water to where it can cause burns or fires.

Filter position doesn't matter.
I mix in a 55 gallon poly drum so I think I should be good. As far as the salt water route goes it's financially impossible for now. I dump on the deepest end of my pool but it has always made it cloudy the next day.

Happy Anniversary (join date)... Using 4 lbs 65% Cal-Hypo raises your FC in a 70k pool 4.4 ppm. It also raises CH by 3.1 ppm. In a month your CH would be 93, when using Cal-Hypo everyday. Is your LaMotte accurately reporting your CH level?

Using 3 gallons of 10% liquid chlorine raises you FC in a 70k pool by 4.3 ppm and a little salt. At those costs, as suggested above, a SWG is in your future.
As far as I know it's reporting CH correctly. Had a sample tested in store and read roughly the same. I'm getting Cal-Hypo 68% at $4 a pound so it seems to be a little cheaper. With a pool this size a new salt water would be best. Financially it hasn't been possible yet all at once.

Heh. For 70K gallons, maybe two!

Using Cal Hypo like you have, your CH is way higher than that.
I'll bring a sample in to both pool stores in town Monday and compare the results vs mine at home then I'll update here. From what I've read I figured it should be at least 100ppm and higher. It's been about 6 months since I had it tested in store for a comparison. So it's probably time to check calibration on my unit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.