cloudy water with no test results

Jun 20, 2008
Kentucky
I have not received my new reagents therefore I can't post cya or ta. I can check chlorine and PH. the pool is completely cloudy and I have added bleach which does hold overnight but during the day the chlorine level is zero and ph 7.2. my question is...should I continue to add and keep some chlorine in the pool until I can get good test results or should I stop and wait for the reagents? would adding clarifier now help or wait on that too? btw...the pool was green before I added bleach but green is gone and only cloudy now. thanks!

21,000 gallon inground
vinyl liner
sand filter

I have not received my new reagents therefore I can't post cya or ta. I can check chlorine and PH. the pool is completely cloudy and I have added bleach which does hold overnight but during the day the chlorine level is zero and ph 7.2. my question is...should I continue to add and keep some chlorine in the pool until I can get good test results or should I stop and wait for the reagents? would adding clarifier now help or wait on that too? btw...the pool was green before I added bleach but green is gone and only cloudy now. thanks!

21,000 gallon inground
vinyl liner
sand filter
If you have FC reagents, why would you not maintain FC?

Use whatever CYA level you were using to maintain the pool and start a SLAM, sooner the better. Don't worry about anything but FC & CC during the SLAM, and your pH is already where you need it for the SLAM.

When your CYA reagent arrives, confirm CYA level and adjust as needed.

- - - Updated - - -

what do you think about adding clarifier now too? would that help or cause more problems
Nothing but chlorine right now.

I haven't opened my pool for two years and just doing so now so the pool hasn't been maintained. when I closed the pool 2 years ago I drained below the skimmer therefore I have had to add water too. I really don't know where I am with results. I appreciate all your help and advise.

While you're waiting, spend the time brushing and vacuuming. The more sludge you remove, the faster things will clear once you can start the treatment.

There;'s no way to even guess the CYA level, so the best you can do is add whatever bleach a couple times a day to keep it registering. It may not improve, but it should keep things from getting worse.

Clarifiers tend to just gum up filters.

please advise. pool still completely cloudy. have been adding bleach to keep some chlorine in it until I received the reagents. and I have vacuumed to waste and have had to add some water due to waste vacuuming. it did not hold chlorine overnight. I added a gallon of beach this morning and again about 2 hours ago. I now have the reagents with these results. thanks for your help
fc--2.0
ph-7.2
TA-90
CYA--zero

Add some CYA granules in a sock to get your CYA up to 30 and SLAM away! Make sure you maintain that FC of 12 PPM as often as possible during the day. You'll lose the FC quickly at first, until the pool starts clearing up a bit. Then the FC will start holding longer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I started my slam on 06.15. The pool is a little better..starting to see a little of the bottom in the shallow end. Where I have had to vacuum to waste I need to add water. Will adding more water now that it's kinda of starting to clear cause me more problems? I need to vacuum. I have never had this much trouble clearing my pool. Thanks for all help. Trying not to get frustrated.

I started my slam on 06.15. The pool is a little better..starting to see a little of the bottom in the shallow end. Where I have had to vacuum to waste I need to add water. Will adding more water now that it's kinda of starting to clear cause me more problems? I need to vacuum. I have never had this much trouble clearing my pool. Thanks for all help. Trying not to get frustrated.
You are aware that you can vacuum to filter? If it loads up, a backwash uses less water than vacuuming to waste.

Vacuuming to waste is really only necessary if you need to lower CH or CYA buildup at the same time, or if you have enormous piles of debris on the bottom that would make you backwash every ten minutes. If it's just settled-out algae carcasses, vacuum it up and then check filter pressure. If you're still good, you're done., If it's high, backwash.

I do know I can vacuum to filter. I was having trouble with debris coming out of the jets is why I had to resort to vacuuming to waste. I am getting ready to vacuum now and plan to try to vacuum to filter again in hopes that no debris comes back thru the jets.

I'm a little confused....I was reading a post about dirt coming from jets and that pool had zero CYA and CL was 14. he was advised that since he had no CYA he should not have chlorine high. I have been slamming mine and keeping it high due to cloudiness and I have no CYA. I did add CYA but have added water too, so is that why I still have no cya? Anyway I have been keeping the cl at 12 for days on end now. I was able to vacuum this morning with a little murkiness coming from the jet, but my water is cloudy. so my question is do or continue to slam at 12 or does it need to be lowered. and should I wait to add more stabilizer. sure could use a lot of advise. my results are after pouring 1 gallon of 6.25% in over an hour ago. HELP please! thank u
FC-11.2
CC-.2
PH-7.2
TA-90
CYA- probably zero as it is no registering at 20

How much CYA did you add -- what target? -- and how long ago was it added? When you're at the end of the scale, it can be hard to measure. You might be at 20 and the view tube ends at 30. That can be a problem.

If you targeted 30 CYA, assume it's there and use 12 FC.

Stuff blowing out the returns sounds like a filter problem to me. Maybe not enough sand, or it's channeled.

I added 4 lbs stabilizer on 06.15. And have kept chlorine at 12 pretty much 24/7. I think u r right about a filter problem too but trying to get someone to come and look at it has become impossible! Actually this is my original filter when I installed the pool in the mid 90's. and the heater too! Even have told the pool stores instead of them coming to check the equipment, I would buy all new equipment in hopes that would get them to come out. But didn't work. Guess they don't need my business!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.