Cloudy water when adding liquid chloring

Recently, for the past month or so, when I add liquid chlorine to my pool the water turns cloudy. I have not changed anything with the way I maintain our pool except we purchased a Dolphin Premier robotic cleaner a few months ago. The cloudiness starts where I add the chlorine but spreads to the entire pool as the water circulates. The cloudiness diminishes over the course of the day and increases again when I add chlorine the next day. When I back-wash the pool filter the water is milky white for the first few seconds.

Here are my water chemistry values from this morning

FC : 6ppm
PH : 7.7
TA : 85
CH : 225
CYA : 50
CSI: 0.03

Any thoughts?

This is just a hunch, but before your next addition try bringing your pH down to 7.2 first. Let the acid mix for 15-30 minutes and then add the chlorine and see if you get the same reaction.

The only thing that comes to mind, assuming your water is otherwise completely clear, is that the high pH of the chlorine is causing your calcium to temporarily precipitate in to the water. This eventually clears up as your FC is used (an acidic reaction, which is why liquid chlorine is net neutral with pH as they cancel each other out). It's just an idea, really a shot in the dark, but it's something to try to either confirm or rule out the possibility.

I will throw this one out just brain storming ideas. I have the dolphin premier as well. Are you soaking or cleaning your filters with anything other than just hosing them clean?

What kind of chlorine are you using?

Pool Essentials Chlorine from WalMart. I've been using this for several years

- - - Updated - - -

I will throw this one out just brain storming ideas. I have the dolphin premier as well. Are you soaking or cleaning your filters with anything other than just hosing them clean?

I just hose them off with water and put them back in.

Just for kicks, I’d try lowering your PH a bit with MA, and see if that makes a difference.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.