Cloudy water when adding chlorine

Nov 13, 2014
Melbourne, FL
Hello. I have a funny situation over the past couple of days where every time I add chlorine (10.5%), I get white cloudiness for a couple of hours, then it disappears. The first time it happened, I thought a filter grid was broken and throwing DE into my pool, but it was clear by the time I got up the next morning. I'm not adding huge amounts at a time, usually a gallon or less. Today it happened when I only added a little less than a gallon. Water otherwise looks good, no visible algae. I added calcium chloride about 6 days ago since I had dropped below the recommended 250ppm, so I think this has something to do with it, but I've never had this happen before when I've added hardener and my levels aren't super high. My filter runs 10 hours a day, so I would have thought by now it would be fully circulated and dissolved. Here are my numbers:

FC: 7 after adding chlorine (2 when I started; I had a hectic day yesterday and didn't get out to test and add chlorine)
CC: .5 (or less, very slightly pink)
pH: 7.4
TA: 80
CYA: 35ish (in between 30 and 40 on my tester, but closer to the 40, so being conservative)
CH: 270
Water temp: 89 (southern exposure in Florida)

Is there something that is causing my calcium chloride to precipitate every time I add chlorine?

I'm using liquid chlorine from Pinch A Penny - Suncoast Gold Liquid Chlorine. For ingredients, it says Sodium Hypochlorite - 10.5%, Other ingredients 89.5% and of course, doesn't list those. Its the same unstabilized chlorine I've used since I moved in 5 years ago, so that hasn't changed for me in terms of my methods :/

I couldn't seem to find the MSDS on their product, but I'm not aware of anything different in their product. Not sure if this was a particularly odd batch you received, or if they added something to their formula (like Clorox did a couple years ago w/ polymers) that could be causing the temporary cloudiness. I can't see the calcium added over a week ago having any impact as your over all numbers look very good. Something you might try next time is purchasing a different bleach/chlorine from a different store as a one-time test to see if it happens with another product.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.