Cloudy water - time to drain?

Drew80

Feb 26, 2013
Austin, TX
I've had partially cloudy water for a few weeks now despite shocking twice. Measurements are below:

FC - 5
pH - 7.4
TA - 90
CH - 550
CYA - 80
salt - 3000

Everything looks generally ok except CH, and even that isn't astronomically high. Would that be enough to cause cloudiness?

Drew, in the years you've been a member and posted here you must know we don't just "shock" a pool and call it done.

Have you performed a full SLAM procedure? Using Liquid Chlorine?

At the minimum I would up your FC level.... if you're at 5ppm daily, and the sun takes a few points daily, you're going be risking an algae outbreak. You may have a low level outbreak going on now causing the cloudiness and it just hasn't turned green yet.

SLAM Process

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: IceShadow
Yes yes, I know. 🙂

I was looking for general guidance rather than a step-by-step procedure. More of a "why" than "what do I do". Particularly since my CH is high, and no SLAM procedure is going to fix that.

Last edited:
It creeps up because of your TA level. The SWG just isn't lowering the pH the way pucks would. Once your TA is down around 50-60 it probably will slow down on the creep.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Most likely the TA is going up due to your evaporation and fill adding more to the pool. You could force it down but it will likely come back up with more evaporation-fill.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@IceShadow I've been trying to get TA down for literally 4 years with no luck.

So, here is my 2 cents. I can lower my TA, in a 30K pool, 10ppm, with the rig below on a sump pump. Lower your pH to 7 with Muriatic Acid. Run the aerator until your pH rises to 7.4 and repeat until your TA is in the 60-70 range. (CO2 outgasses at the fastest rate from 7.0-7.2/4. This will reduce your TA. You want to creat LOTS of VERY TINY bubbles to outgass CO2.

Aerator.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.