Cloudy Water Several Days After SLAM and Passing OCLT

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hi, this is my first time dealing with this particular issue. I opened a little late this year and have a mess cover so I had more algae than I typically do to get cleaned up at opening. This is my 13th summer with this pool so I've done this a lot. Completed the SLAM process last Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Passed OCLT Sunday night/Monday morning. I have run my pump 24x7 but I can still hardly see the main drains in my deep end. I do believe the water clarity if improving a tiny tiny bit each day but I believe I am still dealing with dead algae that my Pentair CCP 420 just will not filter out. I have cleaned filters multiple times but honestly pressure never gets bad and although they are dirty they are not terrible. Filters look in good shape structurally even though they are probably 5 years old now. I have just been running the pump at 2,000 PSI and my reading has always been around 3 psi. Numbers are good. Because I lose all of my cya each year when I open I don't have any so on one hand it's good because it doesn't take much chlorine to kill off the algae but then once I am done with that and pass I add CYA so I can turn down my IC40. I do add the CYA gradually though in amounts that raise it roughly 10 increments. Last night at 9 PM the FC was 3.5, CC .5, CYA about 10 because although the black dot gets clouded it doesn't fully disappear yet even when I fill the tube completely. PH 7.6-7.8. Every time I brush it seems there is very fine dirt and/or dead algae I am just pushing around which clouds the pool even more and then when I brush later it's the same process. I know I can add some clarifier and it sounds like that should help but it seems like people try to steer away from doing so. If I do not use that to help with clearing the pool is there something else I can do. This is the first time I have ever had issues clearing the pool like this. Thanks in advance.

Can you post a picture of the water?

You should clean the filter, and run the pump on high (3000) and not clean pressure. Then every once in a while run back up to 3000 and note pressure. When it rises 25% (at high pressure), then clean again. My guess is that you are not seeing (and won't) a filter pressure rise when you are noting pressure at low speed.

Do you have a vacuum?

Whatever you do, do not add FLOC. Advice coming when we see pictures!