Cloudy water- new pool owner

I am still slamming currently. I've seen only slight improvement. However, I was just wondering if I should still have chlorine tabs in the in line chlorinator still ? With the TFP method I understand its okay to use them in addition to liquid as long as my CYA doesnt get to high? But I wasn't sure about during a slam.
Also do I continue to use algaecide while slamming? I do believe the slam process is killing the algae just by the amount of stuff on the bottom of the pool. This keeps coming back even though I vacuum and brush daily. I just recently bought skimmer socks and omg how gross! Within just 1 hr this is what the stock looked like, see pic. I'm assuming this is dead algae dying due to the slam process? Is it possible that my sand filter all this time has not been filtering this fine of particles and has caused my cloudiness? I'm really hoping the sock accelerates clearing up the pool. I also added about 1c DE to raise my pressure by 1ppm.

Attachments

• 20220526_205510.jpg
    20220526_205510.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 12
I would take the tabs out. You're right that the TFP philosophy ultimately is to understand what you're putting in your pool and what it's going to do for you. But for now, keep things simple and stick to liquid chlorine. Save the tabs for when you're away on vacation.

There isn't anything algaecide is going to do for you at this point that chlorine won't. TFPers who use algaecide generally only do so when closing, and only a very specific type.

It's hard to say if what's in the sock is algae or pollen (my socks are full of pollen right now). I'm sure your filter was picking up the dead algae before, it's just that new algae was growing so fast it couldn't keep up.

One thing that makes it easier to see improvement in water quality is to take a picture with something like a skimmer net or leaf rake in the pool so that you can see the view of the depths improve.

Reactions: SarahP
Tested the water this morning and FC was still at 18, but now I have 0 CC. Is that bad to have CC of 0? PH is 7.8.
It is sloooowly getting clearer. I can now see the main drain is white and can see the little holes in drain cover which I wasnt able to see before. Sadly, now that it is clearer I can see we have a slice in the liner where the pool stairs go 😭 So now I'm feeling super defeating and wondering how much that will cost to repair, if its even repairable. In the meantime, should I worry about CC?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.