Cloudy water - need bigger pump?

Jun 18, 2017
Middleburg, FL
We have a Summer Waves 14x42 pool - 3300 gallons. It was fine for the first couple weeks, now I can't get the water clear. I've changed the filter 3x in 3 days, had the pump running 24/7, and no change - just cloudy water.

My pH levels are low - but I can't get them up. Chlorine is in normal range.

Our pump is a Summer Waves 1000 GPH, we have an chance to get a used Intex 2500 GPH pump, but I'm wondering if a larger pump will make any difference? For our size pool, I would think 1000 GPH is sufficient.

From research, we are considering our options -

1. Try the larger pump
2. Upgrade to a sand filter pump
3. Add a saltwater system

As with anyone, our main concern is spending even more money than we already have...suggestions?

It's not the pump - though that seems to be first thing people want to change. All the pump does is circulate the water. The filter takes out the stuff. Read "Pool School" for advice about chemistry. Your FC is in "normal" range but you haven't provided any specifics. Normal to what? Even if your FC is correct for the cya level, algae can still get ahead of you. Like Richard said, get rid of the algae bloom and you're okay. Time to go back to basics - proper test kit, report results, follow the plan. It's simple chemistry....and it works. Whether you get a better filter, salt water, bigger pump - none of it matters if the chemistry isn't correct.

Appreciate the advice...turns out the test strips were faulty. I took water to the pool store and all the number matched what I had gotten with the strips, except the pH. While the strips always told me it was between 6.6-6.8, it was actually 8! So hopefully all the pH increase I added caused the issue. Bleach, Muratic acid, and some clarifier. Hopefully that will take care of the issue. And the guy at the pool store assured me it wasn't algae :)

just fyi, i had that same pool last year. i think i kept the existing pump and filter for like 2 weeks. now that thing is sitting in my attic. i went with the intex pump and sand filter and have not looked back. i am just thinking i will get a bigger pump and filter so i can do more without turning ball valves on and off all the time.

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something like the clarifier. It probably cost almost as much as the water it would take to start over..

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do??

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. Now, your pool is small, what we call a Seasonal/Temporary Pool. This means that if things get out of hand it is easier to drain and refill rather than fight the problem.

At this point I would suggest -

• Drain the water and scrub with a solution of 1 part bleach to 10 parts water
  • Buy a simple test kit at WalMart. A two way will work fine for a small pool
  • Read and follow the directions on this page: Pool School - Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools
  • Drive past the pool store, they are there to make money, not to make your pool better.*
* I say this because for the guy to say there is no algae requires testing. We would ask someone to conduct an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (don't do it, go back to my list) to prove or disprove the presence of organics in the water.

Now, these small Seasonal/Temporary Pools are known for having undersized filters and pumps. They will work, you just have to stay ahead of any algae. Once the water gets cloudy it's almost too late.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
just fyi, i had that same pool last year. i think i kept the existing pump and filter for like 2 weeks. now that thing is sitting in my attic. i went with the intex pump and sand filter and have not looked back. i am just thinking i will get a bigger pump and filter so i can do more without turning ball valves on and off all the time.

Just the sand filter pump or the SWG sand pump? Which how many GPH was the intex you replaced the original with, and what size pump are you considering now?

* I say this because for the guy to say there is no algae requires testing. We would ask someone to conduct an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (don't do it, go back to my list) to prove or disprove the presence of organics in the water.

Now, these small Seasonal/Temporary Pools are known for having undersized filters and pumps. They will work, you just have to stay ahead of any algae. Once the water gets cloudy it's almost too late.

Thanks for the advice, I will probably just drain...BUT FIRST: does it matter any that I had no chlorine change from yesterday to today? It was at 1 yesterday, TFP math said to add 11oz bleach, pool store said 1/2 gallon...so I added 11 oz. Same readings this morning as the one I did yesterday about 3 PM. (The pH however, is back to normal after the addition of TFP recommended amount of muriatic acid)

I really don't know why I don't want to drain it....hardheaded I guess.

Thanks for the advice, I will probably just drain...BUT FIRST: does it matter any that I had no chlorine change from yesterday to today? It was at 1 yesterday, TFP math said to add 11oz bleach, pool store said 1/2 gallon...so I added 11 oz. Same readings this morning as the one I did yesterday about 3 PM. (The pH however, is back to normal after the addition of TFP recommended amount of muriatic acid)

What are you testing with?

- - - Updated - - -

Well, if you are going ot follow our methids you can do one of two things.

Drain, refill and use the inexpensive WalMart test kit or order a TF100 test kit and conduct the entire SLAM Process process. The first is easier....

Testing originally with strips, now with a five way kit with drops - purchased at Home Depot, so basically inexpensive Walmart kit.

Any suggestions on draining? There seems to be a drain plug at the bottom that a hose can hook up to that will allows us to snake a hose back to the ditch behind our house (low ground, we would have a swamp with even 1/8 of the water in the pool) but that would take forever. There has to be a quicker way, although I haven't had any luck researching one.

Testing originally with strips, now with a five way kit with drops - purchased at Home Depot, so basically inexpensive Walmart kit.

Any suggestions on draining? There seems to be a drain plug at the bottom that a hose can hook up to that will allows us to snake a hose back to the ditch behind our house (low ground, we would have a swamp with even 1/8 of the water in the pool) but that would take forever. There has to be a quicker way, although I haven't had any luck researching one.
The quickest way is with a rental transfer pump or buying an inexpensive pump from a place like Harbor freight. 1/10 HP Transfer Pump

The rental pumps sometimes come with larger hoses for moving more water quicker....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.