Cloudy water...need a little more guidance...

lsbarkley

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2007
New Jersey
Hello,

Fiberglass pool owner here and thrilled with my pool. I have the Taylor 2006k test kit and have had wonderful pool water all summer. Then to get rid of a few areas of staining I used ascorbic acid to treat the stain. During this time we received 5 days of rain in NJ. Well I developed algae in a yellowish form lightly in areas around the pool. My chlorine has definately flucuated over the past few days but had company yesterday so didnt want it that high. The pool was clear from looking into it but with goggles very cloudy than normal. Last evening I put my SWG to 100% and added bleach to get to 9 FC that was about 6pm. At 12am FC was 8 (assume chlorine being consumed up). This morning 8am FC 10 with CC=0 but those yellow areas appear again in small amounts on edges of built in seats and swimouts. They come right off with a finger or brush. I have followed Mbars posts for fiberglass pool and others as well and it has helped alot...I just want confirmation that I am heading in the right direction to clearing up the pool. Thanks for the support at this site...its wonderful.

I assume I just need to continue to filter. What should I try to hold my FC level at? My filter psi has only risen 2 psi in the last 20 hours from 12 to 14 (avg is 11-12psi). My number for the pool are posted below.

FC = 10
CC = 0
PH = 7.2
Alk = 110
CYA = 40

Thanks.

Ls

With a CYA of 40 shock level for your pool would be 15. If that is mustard algae, which it sounds like, then you may need to go higher than that to get rid of it permanently. Levels around FC of 24 for 24 hours after FC holds overnight are suggested for completely getting rid of mustard algae. It also helps to brush the entire pool while the chlorine level is high.

Ls,

I would reemphasize what Jason said about brushing. I fight mustard algae each year (thru neglect...please don't tell anyone :lol: ) and I find that high FC is the cure but brushing speeds the process noticeably and effectively.

duraleigh said:
Ls,

I would reemphasize what Jason said about brushing. I fight mustard algae each year (thru neglect...please don't tell anyone :lol: ) and I find that high FC is the cure but brushing speeds the process noticeably and effectively.

Hi duraleigh,

If that's the case...would you be able to send me a sample? Collecting it is easy enough...although you do have to approach it quite slowly. It would be great if Matt4x4 and yourself would be able to send samples.

thanks,
dan

Sorry, Dan, but thanks to my meticulous pool maintenance and careful, diligent application of chlorine (yeah, right) all the little mustard critters are dead as doornails and long gone some weeks ago.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.