Cloudy Water Help

You seem to be moving in the right direction and Pat is giving good advice. It may seem like you are not progressing, but just seeing the FC drop,over a few hours shows it is killing the bad stuff in the water.

You say you have clear water, but what about CC? Have you conducted an OCLT to see how much you loose overnight?

Do you close yourself or are you paying to have it done? If it's a service, can you reschedule?

What is your water temperature? The growth of algae starts being retarded at 60 degrees and the colder the water the harder it is for algae to reproduce. We always suggest folks close later in the year with colder water and open earlier before the water really starts to warm.

The hardest part of a SLAM is POP - Pool Owner Patience.

You seem to be moving in the right direction and Pat is giving good advice. It may seem like you are not progressing, but just seeing the FC drop,over a few hours shows it is killing the bad stuff in the water.

You say you have clear water, but what about CC? Have you conducted an OCLT to see how much you loose overnight?

Do you close yourself or are you paying to have it done? If it's a service, can you reschedule?

What is your water temperature? The growth of algae starts being retarded at 60 degrees and the colder the water the harder it is for algae to reproduce. We always suggest folks close later in the year with colder water and open earlier before the water really starts to warm.

The hardest part of a SLAM is POP - Pool Owner Patience.

The CC today is a little over 0.5 ppm - I say a little over 0.5 because I am using the 10 ml test level. When I add the 5 drops of reagent, it turns slightly pink and almost completely disappears with one drop. So, a little over 0.5 ppm.

Yes, I have done an OCLT and it dropped 4 ppm :(

Pool temp today is 62, but it was 60 Friday. It was really warm today here in S. MN.

I pay to have the pool closed down, and I would wait, but we are anticipating freezing temps soon, so I don't want to wait much longer to close down. This time of year is tricky. It can be really nice and warm, or it can be super cold and even snowy!

:goodjob: Waiting is often times the most difficult part. Now is a good time to pull-up a chair and watch the leave fall. :cheers: Once in a while, stir things up with a good scrubbing as well. We'll be here if you have any more questions.

Thank you, TS - I am planning to open earlier than normal so I can get ahead of anything growing in my expensive pond ;)

Just because air temps get into freezing numbers the water temp is a little slow to follow. I get multiple days in a row below freezing and I never close my pool. I just run the pump to keep water moving. Especially with an in-ground pool it takes a lot of low temperature to damage anything s long as water is moving.

I also have had multiple days with below freezing temps before closing my in-ground. The pipes with even a little water flowing through them have been fine. I only worry about my slide pipes as they don't always have water flowing through them. I I turn the slide on to a good trickle. Buried pipes are pretty safe as they are below a short term freeze line.

Just because air temps get into freezing numbers the water temp is a little slow to follow. I get multiple days in a row below freezing and I never close my pool. I just run the pump to keep water moving. Especially with an in-ground pool it takes a lot of low temperature to damage anything s long as water is moving.

I also have had multiple days with below freezing temps before closing my in-ground. The pipes with even a little water flowing through them have been fine. I only worry about my slide pipes as they don't always have water flowing through them. I I turn the slide on to a good trickle. Buried pipes are pretty safe as they are below a short term freeze line.

Thank you for the advice. I have closed down the first week of November, and I vowed I would not do that again. I had large sheets of ice in the pool, my pressure gauge broke, a weir broke ... it was really stressful. So, mid-October is the comfort range for me.

I want to thank you all for the help - you all gave great advice and support!

The most important thing to remember is this: No matter what ends up happening, even if it's swamp green in the spring, you know how to fix it and we are here if you need us.

Very true! Also something I hadn't thought of before - I have a vac line that I don't use very much and have kept closed. I'm wondering if some bacteria/algae was in that line. I will have to remember to occasionally use the line and get some flow through there. That might have been part of the problem. Learn something new every day ... ;)
Good luck on your closing, and we'll see you again next season. :swim:

I hope not too much!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.