May 25, 2023
Montreal
Hi all,

New to all of this, need help. Keep going to the pool store buying a lot of stuff and still ending up with a not so crystal clear pool. Third year of having a pool, first two years no problem, this year...cloudy pool.

Pool guy says it the phosphates, thus my reply here but you all seem to be saying not a prob. About to get a divorce over this pool, need help. I put the numbers from store testing this AM, not sure it's the right terms but I tries. Will look at the pool school but need immediate help. I was told to drain and fill, drain and fill to lower phosphates and then use a remover...or buy 13 bolldre of phosphate remover at 30$ each....I don't want to do that.

Help me...please.

Thanks

Alcanity : 118PPM
Cal Hardness : 158 PPM
PH 7.6
Stab : 48 PPM
Salt 2777 PPM
Free chlorine : 6.86 ppm
Total 6.86 PPM
iron : 0
copper : 0
Phosphates 6097 ppb (0-400)

Welcome to TFP! :wave: So you've been pool-stored. We understand. Here's how to do it right:
1 - Get a proper test kit. If you have an address in the States, get a TF-100. If not, you can obtain a Taylor K-2006C up there.
2 - Post a full set of those results. The pool store test numbers above are basically invalid, just like their advice.
3 - For now, use our PoolMath (Effect of Adding) section and add about 5 ppm of liquid chlorine to the water each day.
4 - Start reading the SLAM Process to kill algae.
5 - Bookmark our Pool Care Basics page for everything you need to know.

We'll coach you through the rest.

Hello from Texas! I am in a very similar situation and also a newbie here.

I highly encourage you to get a good test kit and stop relying on the nice folks at the pool store. The Taylor K2006C is available on Amazon and it's fairly straight forward to use.

If it makes you feel any better, I put in $100 or so worth of phosphate remover and my phos still doubled. Grrrr!!! So glad I found these folks.

All the best to you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.