cloudy pool

keighley59

Bronze Supporter
Jul 19, 2020
Essex, UK
Hi all, any pointers please.

I've learnt so much from here but I'm at a loss now...

the weather has been full sun for a while in Southern UK and the pool has been cloudy for a while, I can't see the bottom of the pool, and everything that Poolmath tells me doesn't seem to work.

My readings
20/8 8.21 am FC = 9.8, Ph=7.1, TA = 101, CH = 282 & CYA = 36 - Added 48oz od soda ash
20/8 7 49 pm FC = 6.6, Ph = 7.3, TA = 137, CH = Hi (over 650) & CYA = 49
22/8 8.16 am FC = 2.3, Ph = 7.1, TA = 124, CH = 352 & CYA = 41 - added 43oz chlorine
22/8 8.24 pm FC = 4.0, Ph = 7.0, TA = 102, CH = 172 & CYA = 30 - added 32oz dry stabiliser
23/8 7 44 am FC = 5.6, Ph = 7.2, TA = 64, CH = 202 & CYA = 70 - added 37oz chlorine
24/8 6 30 am FC = 5.5, Ph = 7.2, TA = 124, CH = 336 & CYA = 50
24/8 4.29pm FC = 3.5, Ph = 6.7, TA = 75, CH = Hi (over 650) & CYA = 39 - added 188oz borax and 21 oz chlorine

as you can see extremes and really struggling to get a balance. Any pointers guys, that may help?

Thanks .... Rob

#1 Don't put in a CYA until your pool has passed slam. CYA & CH don't change as much as your seeing unless your draining water. CYA if it's not a whole number round up to the higher tens place. Just concentrate on FC for now. Your numbers are all over the place.

Can you get the 2006C or TFT-100 in essex?

Thanks for the advise all, I've been vac'ing twice a day and the FC is stable and still the pool is cloudy. I even got in touch with a guy that has 30 years experience and he was stumped, in fact his reason was 'chlorine lock' - a quick search on here, I ignored that. The strange thing is that I can take a bucket of water out of the pool and it is crystal clear.

A neighbour did mention because of the uncommon very hot weather we've had, record temperatures and now a formal drought that the pollen has been exceedingly bad this year - could this be in the pool making it cloudy and not algae?

I am going to slam it tomorrow and see if that makes a difference, unless anyone else has any ideas?

Thanks as always for any help

Just to let you know I've cleaned the pool and taken stats again in Poolmath:

FC = 6.5, PH=7.3, TA = 120, CH=256 & CYA=42

But pool is cloudy, bucket of water from the crystal clear - Any suggestions, is it safe to swim?

Many thanks ... Rob

If the pool is cloudy the SLAM Process isn’t complete. Please read the article & follow it exactly.
It is safe to swim w/ fc levels between min & slam level for your cya FC/CYA Levels so long as u can see the bottom of the deep end for swimmer safety.
Here are some resources for obtaining a decent kit
For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya with liquid chlorine until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria- it is not just a 1 time addition of chlorine.

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

Just an update - the slam process is working and there is a very different look to the pool now.

This site and the app are amazing - thank you to everyone who provides guidance, info and help.

I'm sure I would be many, many £s out of pocket, paying for experts in the UK to help me.

I did read on this site somewhere - I paraphrase - 'you need own and take responsibility for your own pool' - too true.

Thanks as always ... Rob

Hey Rob - Are you sure that you are following the SLAM process, specifically the chlorine levels?

That would mean a FC level of 16, if we assume your CYA is 40. From the above, it looks like you are keeping your chlorine in the target range for normal use instead of the SLAM levels. See my signature if you need the link.

Keeping your chlorine in the target range will kill some of the algae, but it will go much faster if you keep it at SLAM level until all of the algae is dead. Then you can go back to the target range going forward.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you get a fas dpd type chlorine test kit?
Seems like you need to SLAM if your pools cloudy, and you should have fas dpd kit to SLAM.

Randy
Does Amazon ship to the UK? The Taylor reagents are sold on there and I can send you a picture of the instructions that came with my TF-100 kit that tells you how to run all the tests! Although you will find them on this forum, it is easy to have a cheat sheet to look at lol. Trust me, it’s so worth it to have a proper testing kit! If you can’t get it shipped there, ordering the testing reagents individually is a good option.

EDIT: Sorry, Randy! I meant to respond/quote the OP’s comment about not being able to have the TF-100 shipped to them! It’s too early lol

• Haha
Reactions: randytsuch
Hey Rob - Are you sure that you are following the SLAM process, specifically the chlorine levels?

That would mean a FC level of 16, if we assume your CYA is 40. From the above, it looks like you are keeping your chlorine in the target range for normal use instead of the SLAM levels. See my signature if you need the link.

Keeping your chlorine in the target range will kill some of the algae, but it will go much faster if you keep it at SLAM level until all of the algae is dead. Then you can go back to the target range going forward.
JJ sorry took a while to respond, I've been working away.

I definitely did - I just found the 'slam' button in the Math log app!!!

After 3 days the pool is looking like this.

I know it's said everywhere on this site but I know I would have spent a fortune on people telling me the wrong information, but you guys just can't help enough and I can't thank you all enough.

PS - just had my Taylor K 2006-C imported from the States

Attachments

• pool after slam.png
    pool after slam.png
    733.4 KB · Views: 11
JJ sorry took a while to respond, I've been working away.

I definitely did - I just found the 'slam' button in the Math log app!!!

After 3 days the pool is looking like this.

I know it's said everywhere on this site but I know I would have spent a fortune on people telling me the wrong information, but you guys just can't help enough and I can't thank you all enough.

PS - just had my Taylor K 2006-C imported from the States
Looks great 👍🏻 make sure u have passed ALL 3 end of slam criteria before ending SLAM Process
*Cc’s 0.5 or less
* Pass Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
* Crystal clear water with No visible algae (dead or alive)
& that u have checked & scrubbed all nooks & crannies (light niches etc)

Reactions: keighley59
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.