Cloudy Pool - Feeling Frustrated and Defeated!

Jun 8, 2015
Scranton, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello!
This is my fifth summer owning our pool and first time with a cloudiness issue.

We started the SLAM on Memorial Day and noticed we had a leak somewhere. Long story short - between finding the leak, shutting off one skimmer (we have two), replumbing the filter, etc., about three weeks had passed and we’re currently on our third SLAM this season.

Our numbers are great (I LOVE the Pool Math app) but I can’t clear the cloudiness for the life of me. It’s looked exactly like this for the past 8 days (I’ve taken a pic each day).
FC - 17
CYA -35
CC - 0

My PSI is normally 10. I’ve been adding a little DE to get it up 1 PSI and backwashing when it goes over 25%. Anything else I could possibly be missing? Do I need to worry about PH during SLAM? I’m stuck and frustrated and have missed out on many swimming days already!

Pump has been running 24/7. I saw a post that suggested turning it off one night so the algae could settle then vacuum. Tried that. Didn’t make a difference.

Here’s a full test using the Taylor K-2006

FC 17
CC 0
PH 7.2
CYA 35

Any other numbers you need?

How often are you able to dose the pool? How much confidence do you have in the CYA result you are reporting? We generally advise rounding up to the nearest 10 on CYA levels, so a result between 30 and 40 should be read as 40.

Why did the filter need to be re-plumbed?

We de been checking and dosing every waking hour, if needed. We were on vacation and this consumed us. Back to work tomorrow so not as often...

We’ve also been brushing at least twice a day and vacuuming once a day. Very confident on CYA level.... checked it multiple times.

Filter needed to be replumbed because we had a leak under the concrete so we discontinued use of one skimmer.

Can you post a picture of the equipment pad, with one primarily showing the sand filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the picture. Just wanted to see if any plumbing issues. I assume the return to the pool is going back towards the wall and through the ionizer (which I hope is disabled).

Sand filters can take a bit longer but your experience is simply not normal. If you are not seeing improvement each day, something is not functioning properly. I assume you are backwashing and rinsing correctly (yes?) so the next logical thing is damage to the filter.

Has the pool been clear at all this year?

Was the sand in the filter replaced? Has it been deep cleaned?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.