Cloudy pool after adding Pak 200

Apr 17, 2018
overland park, ks
I made a mistake today by listening to the pool store. I went in to see if the numbers I was getting were accutate (they were)

Ph 6.4
Alk 90

We have had a ton of rain so my guess in drove my pH down. Well I knew I should go to target and get borax but the guy talked me in to adding 2 lbs of pak 200. Immediately cloudy. Does anyone know how long it takes to clear. Pool running and running infloor cleaners to help the process along.

I believe that is sodium carbonate. Or, Soda Ash, or Washing Soda.

It raised your pH and spiked your TA. So now you get to add a lot of acid to lower the TA over time due to rising pH!

It turned cloudy because you added it when your TA was all ready OK to a bit high. It will clear in time.

Should be hours versus days. And your pH will rise with that level of TA in a fairly short amount of time with any aeration.
How did the pH get down to 6.4? How are you testing that?

I test several days per week. I live in KC and we have had 5-7" of rain this week. That is my guess?
Heavy rain would raise the pH through aeration and (if causing overflow) lower your TA slightly.

Marty was asking what you use to test, not how often (though glad to hear you're testing often). I see a k-2006 listed, but that kit does not register a pH as low as you are reporting.

Last edited:
I use the K-2006. I got 7.0. I took it to the pool store and they got 6.4 which is the lowest they can measure. I guess it could have been lower than 6.4. What else would cause it to be that low. I measure regularly but fell asleep at the wheel and only measured TC for the past week. Still cloudy tonight after adding pak 200 7 hour ago. Pump running.

I even told the pool store guy that I would go and grab some borax... but dumb me listened to him and bought the pak 200! Dangit!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.