Cloudy pool, added floc last night

To clarify, make sure all of the flocculant has been allowed to settle to the bottom and vacuum it all to WASTE. Only once you are sure that all the flocc has been removed (as much as possible), then can you return to running your water through your filter. Flocc is like glue. If it gets in your sand filter it will gum it all up. It's sort of why we don't recommend it on this site. It has all sorts of nasty, nasty side effects. And the pool store doesn't care because you will be back in buying replacement sand/filter from them (CHA-CHING!).

Reactions: Junesb
Wonderful, now add 1/2 gal daily each day and brush a few times until your kit arrives. Then run a full battery of tests on your pool (pH, free chlorine, combined chlorine, total alkalinity, calcium hardness, and cyanuric acid) and post results here for further instructions. When you add the bleach, pour in front of a running return over 1 minute. Then let the pump run for 30 minutes (check pressure and backwash as necessary). Then you can turn it off. The 30 minutes of run time should be enough to circulate.

I think your pool is large enough that you should go ahead and use an entire jug of liquid chlorine. PoolMath gives your pool volume at aprox 10,000 gallons. So a full gallon of liquid chlorine should raise your FC by almost 8ppm.

Maddie :flower:

I put in a full gallon. The jug says 1 gallon handles 11,000 gallon pool.
That's fine but they are assuming you are either routinely chlorinating with the product or doing a one time "shock". They don't know anything about SLAM. You can do 1/2 to 1 gallon but once you get your kit and test your water, ignore what it says on the bottle and add whatever amount you calculate in Pool Math to hit your target.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really appreciate the help. But I have been so frustrated the last 2 weeks. It would have been easier to siphon out the water and order water. My frustration started when Leslies opened the pool, and showed me how to use the manual vacuum - they put the skimmer plate in BACKWARDS after they were done. I never thought I would need to check their work - they are supposed to be the PROS. So for an entire week, I am wondering why the water pressure at the pump was fluctuating between 0 and 12 PSI every 15 seconds. I thought there was a clog, or the pump was bad. Luckily I found the issue on my own (eventually), and I didn't need to hire someone else. So the pool was really not doing a darn thing for a week while on. The pump was fighting itself. Glad it didn't burn out. Oh, and Leslies told me its ok to leave the pump outside in the winter as they are made for it. Is this true? I read that you should disconnect the pump and bring it inside or it can crack in winter. I wrote a bad review on Leslies site. I should be able to leave 0 stars, but I left 1 star. 1 star was for the sales manager that helped me pick out my pool. From then on it was a quick downward spiral. Live and learn. I did find a lil mom and pop store close to me. That's the shop that suggested Flocculent. I followed the instructions and did NOT put the Floc through the filter - only through the recirculate to pool. 12 hours later you are supposed to see the dead algae on the bottom of the pool. But it was still cloudy like before the Floc. Yesterday I vacuumed twice - 30 minutes each time. I bought a much better vacuum head too - one with no bristles. The bristles push the particles away from the suction hole in the vacuum - which makes no sense to me. The new head is on rollers and has a much stronger suction.

I am waiting for the TF-100 kit to arrive today sometime. And I have been reading the SLAM method and Pool School. I installed Pool Math on my phone but I am confused how to use it. When I see the chemical acronyms, I have no clue what they mean so I am reviewing that too. But if my water readings are what they should be, I'm not understanding what I need to do to get this water crystal clear. Is it safe to swim in a cloudy pool? When I put the vacuum hose in the pool, I can see the hose about a foot down, then nothing. So the pool is 40" height cloudy. I can see the big white particles looking down from the top. The liquid chlorine was circulating a few hours yesterday. I brushed the walls and vacuumed and added more water. I uploaded 2 pics - 5 days ago pool view and today pool view.

Btw I like how the forms automatically saves my writings if the page crashes or I go to previous page

Attachments

• Pool May 31 2019.jpg
    Pool May 31 2019.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Pool June 5 2019.jpg
    Pool June 5 2019.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 34
When I see the chemical acronyms, I have no clue what they mean so I am reviewing that too.

Look through the above. Also download the Pool School ebook.

All the acronyms should be covered HERE. :)
And I remember when my pool started turning from green to cloudy blue, felt like such a relief heading in the right direction. Couple days later, clear, clear clear.

You are getting there Junesb, just trust the process. I had no idea what it involved to own a pool until about 6 months ago. There was so much disinformation out there and it was very difficult to wade through the crud...until I found this forum. Yes, there is a lot to learn. Yes, learning it all is a long process but the good news is that to manage your pool; it doesn't take an engineering degree to figure it out and the ebook available here gives you more than enough information to have a beautiful pool...all while doing it as cheap as possible. Pool stores? They have one goal in mind...sell you as much stuff as they can. Yes, even the Mom and Pop stores.

I challenge you to find a friendlier, more welcoming and *actually* helpful group of internet folks than you will find here!

The TF-100 XL kit arrived. I am excited to start testing. Just a couple questions: It is supposed to rain between 7PM EST and 3AM EST today, should I hold off on testing? If I should proceed, I have no clue where to start.

The TF-100 XL kit arrived. I am excited to start testing. Just a couple questions: It is supposed to rain between 7PM EST and 3AM EST today, should I hold off on testing? If I should proceed, I have no clue where to start.
LOL. Rain is no issue if you are willing to get rained on. Start when you are ready and have time to do things properly. The first step is to read each test instruction. Start with pH, free chlorine, combined chlorine, etc. etc. and go down the list until you have run all the tests. Most of the tests have an "end point" where the fluid won't change color anymore. That's the result. Just follow the instructions. You got this!!! Run the pump for 30 minutes, collect your sample, and go inside and sit down and run your tests...

Calcium hardness and CYA first will let us know if you need to drain... but run them all and post up your results...

Here are some videos that may be of assistance. I know they helped me some!

Edit: The video for calcium hardness indicates that you should use 20 drops of the R-0010 reagent with a 25 ml sample, it should be 10. Also, here are some extended directions that could be of some help.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.