Silver Supporter
Jun 29, 2020
Indianapolis
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
How can the water be so cloudy and greenish when the chlorine is 9.8? PH is 7.4 and CYA is 77 We have had a pool for a year and had it water blasted, patched, and painted in June. Started getting cloudy a week ago and then three days ago it was green. I am done with Leslies (after this last purchase, does not seem to be working $$$$$) and I have ordered a T-100 test kit, I am determined to learn the chemistry stuff so that I can do it myself and quit wasting so much money!! We put in Green to Clean and shocked every 12 hours for 3 rounds. Green is much better, but very cloudy. Running robot constantly…..what next? Wait? (Patience is not my strong suit 😂). Thanks!

Hey Tracy and Welcome !!!

Add 5 ppm daily per the poolmath app to keep it from getting worse until the test kit comes (GREAT pick).

Post up the results from the kit and we can hatch a plan. Read up on SLAM Process in the meantime.

Reactions: Tracy Bev
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Spend some time looking over the link below and keep it handy. It will help once you receive yoru test kit.

Hello and welcome! What kind of filter do you have? Sand filters are notoriously slow at clearing cloudy water. But definitely get the Pool Math app if you already haven't and it will help you figure out how much chlorine to add to equal 5 PPM based on your pool volume.

Hello and welcome! What kind of filter do you have? Sand filters are notoriously slow at clearing cloudy water. But definitely get the Pool Math app if you already haven't and it will help you figure out how much chlorine to add to equal 5 PPM based on your pool volume.
Until I get the test kit, should I keep adding liquid chlorine even if there are still tabs in the chlorinator and it is over 9??

Until I get the test kit, should I keep adding liquid chlorine even if there are still tabs in the chlorinator and it is over 9
Ok. No. Let the tabs be and keep checking to see that you have FC. Normally when we meet folks they have 0 FC and a swamp. Leaving it be makes it worse if the kit takes a few days.

you’re good for now but keep tabs on it. (y)

Ok. No. Let the tabs be and keep checking to see that you have FC. Normally when we meet folks they have 0 FC and a swamp. Leaving it be makes it worse if the kit takes a few days.

you’re good for now but keep tabs on it. (y)
Thank you, kills me that it is so cloudy now and the silly test strips read everything in good range??????

They are silly guess strips and a huge reason for many of our new members. Nobody’s gonna point a finger, none of us knew when we were told they’d do what we needed.

• Love
Reactions: TexEdmond
They are silly guess strips and a huge reason for many of our new members. Nobody’s gonna point a finger, none of us knew when we were told they’d do what we needed.
Again Thank You! I have found a new favorite website/message board. Watching the SLAM video again today I can now follow it, a year ago it made no sense at all and that is why I went to pool store. I think I can do this myself and save lots of money, can’t wait for the test kit. I really appreciate the help! Have a great weekend.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can ABSOLUTELY do this. I'm an idiot when it comes to chemistry, so if I can do it, anyone can. Just work on that patience thing in the meantime--a real SLAM takes a bit of it, but once it's done, you will be so smart about your pool :D

Okay the kit is here! Numbers may not be right, due to newbie trying to figure it out, but here goes!
PH 7.5
Calcium 625
TA 140
CYA 60
Chlorine - So high I could not add enough drops to get it to clear up (40 drops and still red)

Still cloudy, better each day, but still cannot see the drain in the deep end. Running the robot about 4-5 times a day and each time the filters are milky/greenish.

Great job on doing your own testing. What test kit did you get? For FC testing, Be sure to use 10ml of water, 1 heaping scoop of R0870 powder, and each drop of R0871 to clear is 0.5 ppm.

Reactions: Newdude
Chlorine - So high I could not add enough drops to get it to clear up (40 drops and still red)
Did you use the 25 ML sample size or the 10 ML water sample size? We recommend the 10 ML with one generous scoop of powder. With that sample size, each drop is 0.5 FC, so divide answer in half. Keep adding drops to go from Barbie pink to clear. Example: 40 drops is only an FC of 20,

Did you use the 25 ML sample size or the 10 ML water sample size? We recommend the 10 ML with one generous scoop of powder. With that sample size, each drop is 0.5 FC, so divide answer in half. Keep adding drops to go from Barbie pink to clear. Example: 40 drops is only an FC of 20,
I used 10 ml

Reactions: Texas Splash
With a CYA of 60, your SLAM FC level would be 24 anyway. I'd keep going with the drops. If you're concerned the FC is more than 35 (70 drops), try a 5ML water sample, then each drop is one FC. Not as accurate as the 10 ML size, but it may give you an idea of what youth FC is going to be.

Great job on doing your own testing. What test kit did you get? For FC testing, Be sure to use 10ml of water, 1 heaping scoop of R0870 powder, and each drop of R0871 to clear is 0.5 ppm.
I got the TF 100
It is going to take me a few times to get used to all the steps and bottles. Still not sure what everything means and what I should do based on the results. Is is cloudy but getting better, slowly.

Okay I did it wrong first time. FC is 12 and CC is 0
Ha ha. Okay, Good stuff. Ready to start the SLAM Process? Lower your pH just a little to about 7.2 - 7..3, then increase the FC to 16 and you're off & running. That SLAM page will give you all the info you need, but if you have questions let us know.

It is going to take me a few times to get used to all the steps and bottles
It will but they are OH so easy steps. Take a few blank sheets of paper and block off everything but the test you need. Get the bottles it needs ready, in order and uncapped. It makes it so much easier to go from bottle to bottle. You don't even have to care what each one does. 5 drops (?) of the right bottle is all that matters. We'll do the learning part as you go. And really ??? Who cares what's in the R-0013 for the CYA test. Just mix it 50/50 with pool water like it says, you have to save your brain power for the battle of the googly eye. :crazy:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.