Cloudy Cloudy Water

We are really struggling with the amount of liquid chlorine we have added to the pool to date. It's well over 65 gallons since July 13th. We are dumbfounded with the amount of chlorine we have added and the readings of FC are still low. The cloudiness is still present, but we can see to the bottom of the deep end over the last 2 days.

Here are current readings: This is the highest we have had on FC since we started the SLAM process.
FC: 2.5
CC: 2.0 (shouldn't this number be closer to .5?)
PH: 7.0
TA: 77
CH: 235
CYA:51

Last edited:
Here are current readings: This is the highest we have had on FC since we started the SLAM process.
FC: 2.5
CC: 2.0 (shouldn't this number be closer to .5?)
PH: 7.0
TA: 77
CH: 235
CYA:51

I have several more questions:
How do we know when the SLAM process is complete?
Every time we test the water, we are adding any where from 5-6 gallons at a time. Is that normal for the SLAM process?
Once the SLAM process is complete, how do I fix the metal issue?

As it has been said conquer algae first to the end without adding anything else into the mix. You want only the algae to be consuming the chlorine. Don't look at how many gallons went in since july-- as other additions did you in.

We have made much progress over the last several days - thank you to TFP!

Here are the test results today:

FC = 11.5
CC = 1
PH = 7.3
TA = 83
CH = 229
CYA = 49

Our pool has definitely gone from green to a light shade of teal, still with visible staining on liner, returns, skimmers and steps. Our water is very clear at this point. So we see the finish line!

The SLAM is only calling for 2 gallons! Hip hip hooray! What a change that is from the typical 6-7 plus gallons at the testing intervals! Vacuuming up the dead algae and brushing has continued. Barely a trace of any dead algae sitting at the bottom of the pool!

We will continue with the SLAM process until the CC is at a level of .5?
Or, did we cross the finish line with a CC of 1 and a FC of 11.5?

We have made much progress over the last several days - thank you to TFP!

Here are the test results today:

FC = 11.5
CC = 1
PH = 7.3
TA = 83
CH = 229
CYA = 49

Our pool has definitely gone from green to a light shade of teal, still with visible staining on liner, returns, skimmers and steps. Our water is very clear at this point. So we see the finish line!

The SLAM is only calling for 2 gallons! Hip hip hooray! What a change that is from the typical 6-7 plus gallons at the testing intervals! Vacuuming up the dead algae and brushing has continued. Barely a trace of any dead algae sitting at the bottom of the pool!

We will continue with the SLAM process until the CC is at a level of .5?
Or, did we cross the finish line with a CC of 1 and a FC of 11.5?
I would crack open the filter remove cartridges and just hose down well with a hose sprayer. Also inspect the filter housing and do the same. This will hasten your slam.

Yes thank you! We cleaned the cartridges yesterday and have reached the completion of our SLAM process this morning. I have learned a lot through this process. We have passed all 3 steps of clear, CC = .5 and OCLT = 11.5. Thank you all! Long process but it worked!!

Now on to removing the metal stains from our liner, steps and skimmers. Suggestions on beginning the process of adding ascorbic acid. Since our FC level stayed at 11.5 from overnight, should we wait for the FC to drop within normal range before treating the iron staining?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
now thats what this site is all about love/ TFP . i have a LaMotte have not used it in 3 years. (expensive paper weight) tf100 with speed stir = TFP testing and a good SWG even better water IMO. beats lugging jugs of LQ.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.