Cloudy and teal green pool

Gumi

Jul 13, 2022
New Jersey
Hi there, I opened my 24ft above ground pool this summer. I didn’t know how to clean it so I went to my local pool store. The lady gave me two giant blue jugs of hypochlorite solution which were 5 gallons each.
She told me to wait 4-5 days, clean it daily and then I could get in to swim. I did just that but the thing is my pool wasn’t clear. I went back, this time I took a sample of my pool water.
The clerk lady told me to buy a pool shock bag, stabilizer and add a chlorine tablet and that should help it clear up. I did, but it never did. I still waited and the pool turned green again. I went back AGAIN 3 days ago, she gave me a giant blue jug of hypochlorite solution and to wait 5 days. I added the solution yesterday and today the water was a teal green and cloudy. I want to know if I’m missing out on something. I clean the sand filter two times a day, brush the pool, vacuum with a handheld, my pump is on 24/7 and skim everything on the top. What am I doing wrong?

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach (3/4 gallon of 10%) to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.