Cloudy after storm

Fibtje

Aug 16, 2020
Winnipeg
We had a big rain storm and my 22,000 above ground pool is extremely cloudy. I’ve dumped in lots of algaecide and shocked it yesterday but today the chlorine reading was down to 0. I dumped in some more today and got the reading up but the water is still very cloudy. I can’t get my hands on anything except the dip strips right now (and my local pool store won’t test your water unless you buy chemical from them). There was a bunch of foam on the top of the water too. I’ve skimmed everything I can put and added some Aquarius clear it in hopes that will help but still looks the same

Welcome to tfp!
Here’s some info on sourcing some proper testing supplies in part 5:
It sounds like u have algae & for that we use the SLAM Process with liquid chlorine.
Which requires the ability to test fc above 10ppm accurately & an accurate cya reading so you can adhere to the FC/CYA Levels
We really don’t recommend relying on poolstore results as they can be inaccurate & unreliable but I do understand your current predicament. Maybe your local shop sells liquid chlorine?
If not it can be found many places sometimes called liquid shock etc. = sodium hypochlorite

Algecides don’t kill algae they can only inhibit it’s growth & are likely the cause of your foaming. Here’s some further reading on the subject:
Until u get some accurate test results you should add 5ppm of liquid chlorine daily so the pool doesn’t get worse. Use PoolMath to calculate amounts.
& don’t add anymore potions!!
They’re making your problems worse.

Please readABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.