Cloudiness in water

Hi all, so two days ago I saw that my pool was beginning to have a cloudiness to it. It has been raining a lot lately so I thought that was why. Fast forward till today and it’s getting worst. I Used the Taylor k2006 kit to test FC,CC,PH,TA and CYA. Here are the results

FC=6ppm, CC=.2ppm, PH 8+, TA 80, CYA= 28-30.

I typed these numbers in pool math and in order to decrease the ph it says to add 8.6 oz of muriatic acid. Should I add add all of it at once? How long should it take to lower and when should I test it after using the MA acid?

If it rains for a few days, can it cause the ph to raise and also make the water cloudy?

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it

Attachments

• 2882B123-FAEE-4044-8252-D83FD1AAF197.jpg
    2882B123-FAEE-4044-8252-D83FD1AAF197.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 188
Elevated pH can cause a pool to get cloudy.

Assume your pH is 8 for PoolMath. Use that in Now, 7.4 in Target. Be sure your TA of 80 is in PoolMath.

I get you need 11 oz of 31.45% muriatic acid added to the pool. Do that pouring the acid at the return stream into the pool. Let pump run 30 minutes and brush the pool and then test pH again. If not at 7.5 or lower, do the same using that pH test for now, and 7.4 for Target. Add the necessary acid and repeat.

Awesome sounds good. Thank you for the quick response, I will do what you said in the am. I used my brush early this morning on the bottom and noticed what looked like powdery sand or something similar in color. When I brushed the bottom of pool (I was outside of pool) I could see whatever the stuff is and pushed it by the outlet. After I pushed as much as I could see to one side of pool and let it settle I couldn’t see it anymore. I know this is a hard question to answer but any idea on what it could be. I’ve never seen it before and my pools bottom was clean before all this started.
thanks again for the help. Well appricated ��������������

It could have been dust, it could have been dead algae.

With a CYA of 30 ppm, be sure your FC is not falling below minimum.

Mknauss thank you for helping me out. Without his site I would be lost. I will be buying the ebook for poolschool to help the site. It’s amazing how the members on this site are 100 times more helpful and knowledgeable then all the pool stores I been too. You are probably right about it being dead algae.thanks again and I will post back in a day or two. Thank you

Mknauss thank you for helping me out. Without his site I would be lost. I will be buying the ebook for poolschool to help the site. It’s amazing how the members on this site are 100 times more helpful and knowledgeable then all the pool stores I been too. You are probably right about it being dead algae.thanks again and I will post back in a day or two. Thank you

Can your pool pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

Be sure it is sand. If it is, your sand filter has an internal issue that needs to be repaired.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok so I got the ph to 7.4 and I did the overnight test....when I took the FC test a little after sundown it was 6.2ppm and at 6am it was at 5.2ppm. So It says if it’s 1.0ppm or under you don’t need to slam. Only thing is I see no improvement and I still have whatever the stuff on the bottom is.there is no slime on the walls of the pool and the water is cloudy but not green. i took a pic of the pool when I moved it all to one side.What should I do? Also wanted to add that I did change brands of liquid chlorine because there was a recall
on the oringal brand I use. I’ve used about 3 gallons of the new stuff and then this started so i do t know if the new chlorine could be defected.Thank you

Attachments

• 622D784E-9324-4D9E-9709-839DCF46B536.jpg
    622D784E-9324-4D9E-9709-839DCF46B536.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 74
Ok so I got the ph to 7.4 and I did the overnight test....when I took the FC test a little after sundown it was 6.2ppm and at 6am it was at 5.2ppm. So It says if it’s 1.0ppm or under you don’t need to slam. Only thing is I see no improvement and I still have whatever the stuff on the bottom is.there is no slime on the walls of the pool and the water is cloudy but not green. i took a pic of the pool when I moved it all to one side.What should I do? Also wanted to add that I did change brands of liquid chlorine because there was a recall
on the oringal brand I use. I’ve used about 3 gallons of the new stuff and then this started so i do t know if the new chlorine could be defected.Thank you

You passed the OCLT by the seat of your pants, the water is cloudy, and you swept up a pile of unknown fine debris? What color is the debris?

If this were my pool I would SLAM Process.

What’s your CC level?

So I took the advice of slamming the pool and I backwashed the filter and after 3 days I have a crystal clear pool.I did notice that I still had a little stuff on the bottom which I think may be dead algae (not sure).anyways all is good and I just wanted to update everyone. Thank you all for your responses and I really do appricate it. Again without trouble free pools I would have no idea what to do. Big thanks ��

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.