Cloudiness and biofilm at waterline

mayberry32

Silver Supporter
Jun 24, 2019
Watkinsville, GA
I have a Hot Springs Grandee that is about a year old. I converted to saltwater seven months ago and did a purge with Ahhsome at that time. Then refilled.

Hot Springs says to change the salt cells every three or four months, but most reports are that they last longer than that. I think mine happened to die while we were out of town for a couple of days and when I got home last night, my free chlorine level was down to .5 . The water was cloudy.

I added chlorine up to 7, just to kill whatever was in there and all of my other chemistry looked perfect. pH is at 7.6, salt
At 1800, calcium at 25-50, alkalinity at 120, no phosphates. It is holding chlorine fine after a salt cell change, but my water is cloudy. I will admit that I’ve used aqua clarity regularly in the past, but I have not used it weekly in the past month or two, simply out of forgetting.

I just ran aqua clarity through the tub and now I have a small bit of sludgy white, creamy biofilm on the walls at the waterline. After doing this, the water seems a little clearer. Do I need to dump and refill or should I run another batch of Aqua clarity and keep cleaning the biofilm off the walls to get the water clear? I also just skimmed the top of the water with the here off and took each filter out and sprayed it off.

This is what he replied privately, and it appears he is correct. I kept running last night, wiping away and skimming the small chunks. After several rounds, the water cleared, and all the chemistry stayed where it was supposed to.

No need to dump the water. Clarity will return within a few days as you have added the product just recently. Be sure to add it every week. The small amount of biofilms yiu see can be wiped away. The Aqua Clarity purged that stuff.”

This is what he replied privately, and it appears he is correct. I kept running last night, wiping away and skimming the small chunks. After several rounds, the water cleared, and all the chemistry stayed where it was supposed to.

No need to dump the water. Clarity will return within a few days as you have added the product just recently. Be sure to add it every week. The small amount of biofilms yiu see can be wiped away. The Aqua Clarity purged that stuff.”
Make sure to chemically clean your Tri-X filters every six or seven weeks.Also take them out and hose them off every three weeks in between chemically cleaning.We recommend drain and refills every six months and using Ahhsome purge, we also recommend a cover pump to drain as the product is very sticky and needs wiped down as it drains,with a cover pump it is much faster than other draining methods.The Grandee/Highlife line has the best filtration system of any hot tub so if you keep those filters clean and working salt cell in place, you should have very minimal issues with your hot tub.

I will always give you my honest advice. My postings and answers are not provided to push or sell our products. I am an old industry veteran who wants to help you enjoy the water in your pool or hot tub.
I know that I appreciate somebody on the industry and working for a great company like yours.We actually sell Serum at our stores but I know it’s owned by the same company as yours.We sell a lot of your products and we truly believe they work great and the customers agree with the results they get.I know there are some individuals on here who discount anything that isn’t what they stand behind which is fine.But I have twenty five years in the industry and have worked retail for most of them,our store doesn’t mislead people and try to sell them products that don’t work.We fill a need and have been in business for 73 years so we must be doing something right we have third generation families that come to us for advice and knowledge.I use TFP all the time to get great info and input ,there are a lot of super knowledgeable people on here whose opinions I respect.I totally get the whole anti pool store stance they take because the major majority of pool stores are exactly what they say.But I have worked hard and diligently to make sure that our store is the exact opposite of them.When they need a pump filter or heater or their pools opened or closed they use us only. I appreciate somebody who has worked in this industry and is passionate for it.Thank you for your comments and whenever I do have a question I know you will answer with the right answer.

Reactions: Ahhsomeguy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.