Closing with high chlorine

I'm in the process of closing my SWG pool and shocked using the chart. My numbers are

FC 29
CC 0
CYA 70
ALK 80
CH 200
PH before shock 7.6
Water temp 55

I want to test PH before covering but obviously can't test PH until chlorine falls below 10ppm.
My pool gets zero sun this time of year so it will take weeks for the FC to fall.
Should I use chlorine neutralizer to bring the FC down so I can test PH.

Thanks

Skoopman:

Welcome to TFP and please add your signature. No need to neutralize the chlorine at this point, just close the pool. If you are really want to bring the chlorine down, you could try PolyQuat 60 algaecide. I know that my experience is that the algaecide will consume most of the chlorine, but there have been members who state that it does not affect (hard to tell). So we only recommend PolyQuat as extra insurance and when chlorine levels are low. You are late in the season, so at this point, I would just close the pool and call it a day.

Where do you live and what type of pool do you have? Your PH has gone up with the chlorine additions, but will come down as it burns off as liquid chlorine is PH neutral.

Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Adjusting your PH to 7.2 is suggested during a SLAM as chlorine raises PH. PH sometimes during the winter months has a tendency to drop, depending on cover, etc. The acid rain will drop your PH because of its acidity. The solid covers will also drop your PH because the pool can not breathe. You will be fine. Assuming you have a solid cover as your pool is above ground? If so, some of the chlorine will slowly be used over the next few weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.