Closing the above ground pool

asliboogie

Jul 20, 2020
Fremont/California
Dear super helpful people,
I read the winterizing guide, just tested all chemicals and added the SHOCK amount of bleach, keep the filter running.
I’ll run it 24hr and the I have questions for the next steps;
1- Emptying the pool 6inch under the intakes. Since the water is heavily bleached, would it hurt the plants? There is no other way to empty it that it will not go tot the plants. How do I do this?
2- Do I need to put anything else (chemicals) from my numbers?
3- I got clips, will try to close with the cover that came with the Bestway Pool from Costco. Is that a mistake? Do I have to buy winter cover? I am in bay area.

Is that it? I just take the pump out, close the intakes, close the pool up. That’s it? Any other advice I need to know?

Hey there :)

1. no issue, the grass will not care at all, some plants are sensitive and expensive but most normal plants do not care...
2. I only use chlorine when I close after the water is below 60 degrees..
3. I do not use a cover at all, have not for 6 years now... if you have one that came with the pool you can use it or whatever you want to cover it... some buy a tarp, some an actual cover.. it is up to you...

nothing else that I can think of.. :)

Hey there :)

1. no issue, the grass will not care at all, some plants are sensitive and expensive but most normal plants do not care...
2. I only use chlorine when I close after the water is below 60 degrees..
3. I do not use a cover at all, have not for 6 years now... if you have one that came with the pool you can use it or whatever you want to cover it... some buy a tarp, some an actual cover.. it is up to you...

nothing else that I can think of.. :)
Wow! You calmed my heart! :) So 1 time shock is enough to keep it safe even though the chlorine will disappear in time? (Now to think about it, covering will not keep the chlorine either.) Phew. I was so stressed. Good to know, thank you.

as long as the water temp is below 60 algae grows really slow and chlorine lasts longer... you can pull the top back in Jan and check the chlorine level and if below 4 fc you can add chlorine and take it back to SLAM level... just use a pool brush to move the chlorine around... that is what I do and in 5 years have not opened to a green pool :)

remember to open in the spring before the water temp rises above 60, I open in Mar every year..

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.