Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Closing pool in two weeks. What is an ideal level to get my fc at for closing? I finished SLAM a week ago, so that's why my fc is high right now.

FC 9.5
pH 7.4
TA 110
CH 450
CYA 50

I have an autocover and SWG, so was going to try to keep my CYA at 50 or 60.

Many people will take their FC to about SLAM level a week of so prior to closing. For you that would be 20. That would be one final blast of chlorine to ensure organics are eliminated while allowing time for the FC to fall a little before closing. Many up north have had unusually warm weather, so that additional FC could be helpful.

Reactions: mmesqc1578
Thanks. Typically, what percentage do you want to let fc fall from slam level before you officially close? I can just use regular clorox bleach from Walmart yes? I ran out of liquid pool shock.

Yes, Walmart's Great Value laundry bleach or their Pool Essentials (if in stock) will work. If you decide to increase the FC to 20 (SLAM level), you can close at any time really. The excess FC level won't hurt anything. If you elect to let the FC fall prior to closing, to add Polyquat 60 for example, then allow the FC to fall to about half of SLAM level (10 or so). Too much FC will just eat-up the Polyquat.

Reactions: mmesqc1578
the how-to article on the site recommends polyquat. Is polyquat 40 ok? Also, can it be added with FC above 10?
Final question, I don't expect it matters whether I use liquid chlorine or cal hypo for this, if calcium level permits?

Thank you!

Yes, Walmart's Great Value laundry bleach or their Pool Essentials (if in stock) will work. If you decide to increase the FC to 20 (SLAM level), you can close at any time really. The excess FC level won't hurt anything. If you elect to let the FC fall prior to closing, to add Polyquat 60 for example, then allow the FC to fall to about half of SLAM level (10 or so). Too much FC will just eat-up the Polyquat.
A pool industry professional mentioned he uses a chlorine slow release floater throughout winter. Would this be a good idea as insurance? He also said recommends Enzyme release floater. Could this be helpful to open to clear water in spring too or just overkill?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.