Closing - Proper Setting for Hayward Multiport Valve?

Apr 11, 2017
Columbus, OH
The pool company I use just finished closing up the pool for the winter. After they left, I noticed the setting on my Hayward multiport valve is halfway between Waste and Closed. Is that normal? Why wouldn't they use Closed instead?

The weird thing is that I actually noticed there is a little notch between Waste and Closed...not a deep notch like all of the regular settings, but a notch nonetheless.

I am attaching a picture.

Thanks for any insight.

IMG_9818.jpg

Closed would close off and isolate all the pipes.

Where they put it lifts the diverter off the spider gasket so the system is all effectively open. This also removes the pressure for the rubber seal in the winter and may help prevent the gasket from flattening and not working as well.

I think the notch they used is the "winterizing" location.

Thank you Jason. Makes me feel better. This is my first winter, so trying to learn.

What I believe may have happened is that the original label on top of the filter was replaced in the spring, but the new label doesn't have the "Winter" setting noted on it.

That is correct. Here is some information from Hayward and I also do the same during the winter.

Winterizing your Sand Filter (same as other sand filters with multi-port)

Interesting to note: Hayward Manual for the S244T 24" 300# sand filter, states only this in their instructions for winterizing:

WINTERIZING

1. Completely drain tank by unscrewing drain cap at base of filter tank. Leave cap off during winter.

2. Depress Vari-Flo control valve handle and rotate so as to set pointer on valve top between any two positions. This will allow water to drain from the valve. Leave valve in this "inactive" position.

winterizing with a sand filter

- - - Updated - - -

Mstadnik:

Please add your signature and welcome to the forum!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.