Closing pool with auto cover, weird skimmers, and tile

gth651t

Jul 26, 2022
Castle Rock, CO
Hi, I have a small heated fiberglass pool with auto cover, I’ve read the closing guides and other threads and I can’t figure out my answer. I have these skimmers that the previous owner tiled on top of and I can only access them from the side. I wanted to use a gizzmo but I don’t think it will fit bc of the angle of putting it in. What are my other choices? Also I need to close the pool filled halfway up the skimmer in order to support the auto cover but I’m having trouble figuring out the best way to do that. Do I lower it below skimmer, plug the skimmer and then add water back to the half way point? I also read I’m supposed to drain below the tile line but I can’t do that and use my cover…. Buying a winter cover is not a choice bc one side of my pool is infinity edge and I have nothing to anchor to. What’s the smartest way to close my pool! Thank you!
064521FC-6FBA-4873-8DF9-1EF7F5CC9958.jpeg81A5DC86-A07F-41BB-90D8-8D7C16B57822.jpeg

Hi, I have a small heated fiberglass pool with auto cover, I’ve read the closing guides and other threads and I can’t figure out my answer. I have these skimmers that the previous owner tiled on top of and I can only access them from the side. I wanted to use a gizzmo but I don’t think it will fit bc of the angle of putting it in. What are my other choices?

Put cut up pool noodles into the skimmer box to allow room for ice to expand.

Also I need to close the pool filled halfway up the skimmer in order to support the auto cover but I’m having trouble figuring out the best way to do that. Do I lower it below skimmer, plug the skimmer and then add water back to the half way point?

Blow out from the pump into the skimmer. That should shoot water up out of the skimmer pipe and get air flowing. While the air is flowing reach in and plug the pipe. You should be able to do that with water in the skimmer.

I also read I’m supposed to drain below the tile line but I can’t do that and use my cover…. Buying a winter cover is not a choice bc one side of my pool is infinity edge and I have nothing to anchor to. What’s the smartest way to close my pool! Thank you!

Automatic pool covers are not made to carry snow loads. You will probably reduce the life of your automatic cover if used during the winter. It all depends on the amount of snow pack you get.

There are ways of anchoring a cover to an infinity edge. Have you spoken with an experienced installer? Anchors can be put at the sides of the edge and a steel cable run between onto which the cover can be clipped.

If you have to leave your water level on the tiles then you run the risk of ice popping off tiles. You will then have to glue them back on in the Spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.