Closing pool with a Shop Vac

Jul 11, 2017
Minnesota
I have been trying to determine to close my pool with a Shop Vac. Last year the company I hired did it this way. I was unable to be there to see how it was done. I have a pump, sand filter and a heater. I know to lower the water below the intake water spot by about 6 inches, and to remove the little plug on the sand filter on the bottom and to remove the pumps little basket. In the skimmer to remove the basket. I am not sure where to start using the shop vac to blow out the lines and the heater. Any help would be great.

Just to clarify what your signature states .... you still have an above-ground pool right? All plumbing is above ground as well? Nothing covered or running under the pool? Other than the filter and heater, nothing else? Do you have a wide-mouth skimmer installed? How about a pic of your equipment pad as well?

Have you seen this page?

Just to clarify what your signature states .... you still have an above-ground pool right? All plumbing is above ground as well? Nothing covered or running under the pool? Other than the filter and heater, nothing else? Do you have a wide-mouth skimmer installed? How about a pic of your equipment pad as well?

Have you seen this page?

The signature does show what I have. All hoses are above ground and nothing running under the pool. In the picture, you can see i have a pump that runs into the sand filter and the water also flows through my heater.

No I have not saw that story, I will read it now...

We used a shop vac for a few years but then hubbie got an air compressor and a special fitting for it to blow out the underground lines. We remove portions of the lines and plug them.
In your climate, you should be storing the pump and hoses inside some type of shelter/garage. Once you remove the flexible hoses what else is there to blow out? I can only think of the heater and you can use the shop vac in the flexible hose to blow it out. You can't blow out the filter. Removing the drain cap will drain the water but its slow so start long before you expect a freeze. We dump out as much water as we can and leave the drain cap off all winter. Take in the regulator top and cover the filter. You need to remove the skimmer and return lines so therefore you don't blow those out. You empty and bring in the pump.
Am I missing anything?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.