Closing Pool/OCLT w/ Pump Running Overnight

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
Hello!!!

One of the directions to close an unground pool is to run an OCLT test on your pool first. In order to do this, should I leave my pump running overnight? I usually have my pump automatically turn off at 9:30pm and back on at 9:30am. Any advise on this?

You can let the pump turn off. Just make sure to let the water mix at least 30 min before you take each test (evening and morning). So in the am, you might want it on a bit sooner than 9:30 to let it mix for 30 minutes before grabbing a sample and before the sun hits the water.
Good luck!

Reactions: Mendy48
interesting - anytime I've followed the overnight chlorine drop test instructions, I've never had the pump running when taking either sample. Have I been doing it wrong? If so, shouldn't the instructions for OCLT say that?

Reactions: Mendy48
I've never had the pump running when taking either sample. Have I been doing it wrong? If so, shouldn't the instructions for OCLT say that?
It should be clearer. Right now it covers the first part "After the sun goes down, and at least 30 minutes after your last chemical addition of the day," but neglects to remind owners to circulate water before taking the morning sample. Water should always be circulated a bit before grabbing a sample to ensure good/uniform mixture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.