BeckPortCity

Dec 11, 2021
Wilmington, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, my name is Beck,, I'm new to the forum and would be so grateful for any advice!
This summer I purchased a 20ft Intex above ground pool for my son. This is my first and I didn't do enough research beforehand and regretting it daily...
For the winter (we live near the NC coast with mild winters) I read it would be best to keep it full and add certain chemicals to keep it from getting ruined.
I thought I would have time to winterize it but that never happened so instead I removed the filter and hoses and drained half of the pool. I now realize this may have been a very bad move...
Even though I skim it as often as I can, I was never able to get the cover on so it's now filled with leaves, acorns and dead bugs...
Can someone please tell me what I should do now? I am not able to break down the pool and put it back up for next summer but would really like to salvage it if possible.
Should I put the cover on now and hope for the best or leave it off and keep on skimming?
Again, thank you for any help you can give!
Sincerely!! Beck

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Since you have mild winters and not a common risk oi deep freezes like up north, you can keep the pool full and running. That will allow you to do minimal chemical testing and adjustment until spring. Cold water is your friend right now. SO get the hoses connected, fill the pool back up, and make sure of a few basics:
- CYA (stabilizer) between 30 - 50
- PH 7.4 - 7.8
- TA Just about anywhere between 60 - 100 (very flexible)
- FC (most important) no lower than 3 ppm. But always go to the FC/CYA Levels to keep the FC balanced to your current CYA. Use liquid chlorine or regular bleach to increase the FC when needed.
- CH is N/A for your vinyl pool.

As always, test with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. Do not rely on test strips of local store testing. Hope that helps.

Reactions: BeckPortCity
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Since you have mild winters and not a common risk oi deep freezes like up north, you can keep the pool full and running. That will allow you to do minimal chemical testing and adjustment until spring. Cold water is your friend right now. SO get the hoses connected, fill the pool back up, and make sure of a few basics:
- CYA (stabilizer) between 30 - 50
- PH 7.4 - 7.8
- TA Just about anywhere between 60 - 100 (very flexible)
- FC (most important) no lower than 3 ppm. But always go to the FC/CYA Levels to keep the FC balanced to your current CYA. Use liquid chlorine or regular bleach to increase the FC when needed.
- CH is N/A for your vinyl pool.

As always, test with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. Do not rely on test strips of local store testing. Hope that helps.

Thank you so much for replying Texas Splash!!! I will start filling the pool back up and reconnect the hoses. Not sure what is needed to acquire all the "basics" you have listed but I will figure it out. Again, thank you!
I do still have an issue with lots of algae and debris so...
Do I put the cover on or leave it off?
Should I borrow a wetsuit to remove the current debris or will the stabilizer and other chemicals take care of all that?

To kill and remove algae we use the SLAM Process. It's important to have a proper test kit as noted above for the SLAM. The colder water should work in your favor for the SLAM Process. The link above also has sub-pages for things like recommended chemicals, levels, etc. Cover off is better right now.
Wet suit? ..... :snorkle: I don't think so, but I applaud your enthusiasm. :salut: Follow the SLAM page and just be sure to brush and vacuum as you maintain the proper SLAM FC level and that should work. Give us a shout if you have any questions.

ThaTo kill and remove algae we use the SLAM Process. It's important to have a proper test kit as noted above for the SLAM. The colder water should work in your favor for the SLAM Process. The link above also has sub-pages for things like recommended chemicals, levels, etc. Cover off is better right now.
Wet suit? ..... :snorkle: I don't think so, but I applaud your enthusiasm. :salut: Follow the SLAM page and just be sure to brush and vacuum as you maintain the proper SLAM FC level and that should work. Give us a shout

So cover off and add recommended chemicals from the SLAM Website? Will I need to skim, vacuum and add chemicals all winter?

As a side note... do you get paid every time the word SLAM shows up in your wording/coding?

• Haha
Reactions: Texas Splash
Even though I skim it as often as I can, I was never able to get the cover on so it's now filled with leaves, acorns and dead bugs...
This needs to be cleaned out or else you'll be chasing your tail. A good quality leaf rake will do the job but don't expect any levels to get better even with the fresh water added until it's gone.

This needs to be cleaned out or else you'll be chasing your tail. A good quality leaf rake will do the job but don't expect any levels to get better even with the fresh water added until it's gone.
Thank you so much!! I'll get started on cleaning it out. Do I really not put the cover on? Seems like an endless effort to keep it clean until summer.

Hi @BeckPortCity You are heading in the right direction!

TFP is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit who displays NO advertising on our site nor is our advice compromised by financial incentives. We use donations from our users to pay for our servers and to continue to develop pool care.
Hi @BeckPortCity You are heading in the right direction!

TFP is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit who displays NO advertising on our site nor is our advice compromised by financial incentives. We use donations from our users to pay for our servers and to continue to develop pool care.
Thank you, can you tell me if I have to continue adding chemicals all winter and spring or is there a period where it becomes unnecessary?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will I need to skim, vacuum and add chemicals all winter?
I am in Florida so a bit warmer than up your way. Saying that I only add 1/2 cup of chlorine about every 4 days or so. I do run my pump about an hour or so each day to help keep the water mixed up. Now if my area is having a HARD freeze I do run the pump all night and into the day until the temps come back up.

How does your water look? Is it clear still or has it started to go green? The answer will guide us on what you need to do right now.

I am in Florida so a bit warmer than up your way. Saying that I only add 1/2 cup of chlorine about every 4 days or so. I do run my pump about an hour or so each day to help keep the water mixed up. Now if my area is having a HARD freeze I do run the pump all night and into the day until the temps come back up.

How does your water look? Is it clear still or has it started to go green? The answer will guide us on what you need to do right now.

The water is still clear just filled with debris. I will need to put on a wetsuit to scrub the bottom though, it has a buildup of algae and water temp is really cold. 🥶

Thank you kimkats, I will do that. I do have a scrubber brush but can't seem to reach the very middle. I'm short and my arms are shorter (just imagine a tiny T-rex), hence the wetsuit.
Thank you all again for your help!! I was beginning to feel a little hopeless but now it seems like the pool can be salvaged. 😊
Sincerely, Beck from Port City

I apologize for reopening this but just wanted to give big thanks again for this site and especially wireform, kimkats, and Texas Splash for helping me get my pool back. I now have a longer pool brush (the middle is no longer an issue!) and a little vacuum that I've named Buddy to help with debris on the bottom. 😁 We've had so much fun this summer! I'm going to leave the pool open for this winter but now I'm prepared for it. Thank you again for all your advice and wisdom!! 😊

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.