Closing My IG Pool Questions

Quick Question!!!

My CYA is 40. I like my CYA up to 50 at least, but I'm wondering if it really matters since I'm closing my pool on the 11th of October. Should I increase my CYA...it's actually 35, but I'm rounding it to 40. Or..should I just leave my CYA alone.

Also, I found the PolyQuat I want to use for my pool. I believe I was told for every 20K, use about 1 quart of PQ (which is about 32oz). Is this product sufficient and is it enough to add to my pool before closing?

Anyone???

View attachment 87071View attachment 87072

Looks to be the same as the Kemtek, should be fine to use.

http://www.kem-tek.com/assets/Kem_Tek_Algaecide_60__Concentrated_MSDS1.pdf

SLAM Pool & Polyquat 60 Addition/Closing My Pool

Mmmmmm.... I want to verify something here for when I close my pool soon. I really can't find the answer on the forum.

Is it okay for me to add Polyquat 60, while at the same time SLAM my pool before closing? Or should I wait until my chlorine drifts back down normal acceptable range before adding Polyquat 60 (for closing)?

This thread was merged with your first thread. Please keep your "story" all in one place. Kim TFP MOD

Re: SLAM Pool & Polyquat 60 Addition/Closing My Pool

Let the FC drop a bit. When the FC is at your SLAM level it tends to consume the Poly you just added defeating the purpose. Consider letting the FC fall to about half of your SLAM level before adding the Poly.

Hi guys after reading all the threads in this post I must admit I almost there getting the Cyclone. A few more questions that will help me and hopefully others as well.I have 3 valves on my system see pictures. Do you drain all water from pumps, Filter and Heater before you start the blowout process? You can see in the second picture, first pump from the suction side comes from the main valve and the shallow skimmer ( I verified by turning pumps off and checking suction) the same pump returns the water through the filter then to the heater and then out to the valve at the bottom of the 1st picture or the 4th picture going to the Return and the Fixed Nozzle. (the fixed nozzle is part of the Paramount PCC200 floor system)
The second Pump (3rd picture) sucks from the Suction Cleaner? and pushes out to the floor system which I think goes directly to the Paramount valve as well as the deep end skimmer.
As far as the floor system I feel that is very simple since I do have the correct Schrader valve plugs for the Paramount valve.
I have the gizmos for the skimmers and plugs for the returns.
What is the best way of blowing out this system.
I also want to remove the pumps and bring indoors for the winter. Do I get plugs for the connections at the unions?
I am hoping to get a new company in here by the end of October and will be sure to watch them carefully for the procedure. i am trying to learn this in case I cant get them out here before freeze.

I would also like to thank everyone for their input on these subjects and big shout out to Catanzaro who has written some great articles on all pool subjects.

IMG_5639.jpgIMG_5643.jpgIMG_5642.jpgIMG_5644.jpgIMG_5641.jpg

P.S. Do you think the Cyclone would blowout an irrigation system (maybe able to convince myself to buy for that reason as well)
Side notes, Pool closings up here in MA $375.00 last year

Last edited:
Drewgost:

The Cyclone is not for sprinkler systems. There is too much resistance on the sprinkler heads. Regarding your pool, very simple. One way in with water (suction), and one way out with water (Returns), no matter how many pumps you have. What areas you can not plug with a black plug (floor drains or main drain) will need "air locked" in the plumbing (that simple). All others are plugged. Please read my thread as it is very detailed. All the draining of pumps, filters, heaters happen at the end.

Concept of closing an IG Swimming Pool

The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

- - - Updated - - -

Pool closings up here in MA $375.00 last year

Your system is very busy. This type of price for a pool closing is extremely fair.

Thanks Catanzaro, Was not complaining on price, just letting others know that the cost of the cyclone will pay for itself immediately. I did read it and will read many more times as I need to completely understand what and why i am doing something.

Thanks again for your time,

Drew

(the fixed nozzle is part of the Paramount PCC200 floor system) The second Pump (3rd picture) sucks from the Suction Cleaner? and pushes out to the floor system which I think goes directly to the Paramount valve as well as the deep end skimmer.

Regarding your paramount system, I do not see the canister with the ports. In my thread, you will find helpful information on how to winterize this area only. The words Paramount cleaning system are in bold.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Catanzaro, Was not complaining on price, just letting others know that the cost of the cyclone will pay for itself immediately. I did read it and will read many more times as I need to completely understand what and why i am doing something. Thanks again for your time, Drew

I understand and also closing the pool yourself allows the pool to be opened longer. In addition, many pool professionals rush the job, show up when you are not there and sometimes damage things and walk away, only leaving you with the mess and cost. Fully understand.

So I'm going to keep my pool water at SLAM until FC holds overnight. I just tested it and will test again tomorrow morning.

Question!!!
Since I'm about to close my pool soon (next week), I was wondering if I could take off my solar cover now; let it dry out in the sun tomorrow and then store it away. Therefore, the pool would be left opened (no cover) for a week. I have no trees or anything in my backyard... Just a pool. The reason I'm doing this now is because it's supposed to rain ,everyday, after tomorrow until closing, and I don't want to store away a wet solar cover after closing my pool. Any suggestions on this?

Will I get any organics (with the exception of algae) in my pool if I leave it uncovered for that long? I'm TFP all the way so all my levels are within specification. I was just wondering if I could leave my solar cover off for a week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Catanzaro...

So I did my overnight test after SLAMing my pool and I'm a bit annoyed at the results. FC went up by a point (tested it twice). Ugh.... I'm just going to take it that my FC didn't fall overnight then and move on. So I'm good to go for closing my pool? CH and TA are within range.

FC Free Chlorine 6 – 8 ppm17Oct 2nd06:30 PM
CC Combined Chlorine<=0.50.5Oct 2nd06:30 PM
FC Free Chlorine 6 – 8 ppm18Oct 3rd08:00 AM
CC Combined Chlorine<=0.50.5Oct 3rd08:00 AM

Thanks Catanzaro...

So I did my overnight test after SLAMing my pool and I'm a bit annoyed at the results. FC went up by a point (tested it twice). Ugh.... I'm just going to take it that my FC didn't fall overnight then and move on. So I'm good to go for closing my pool? CH and TA are within range.

FC Free Chlorine 6 – 8 ppm17Oct 2nd06:30 PM
CC Combined Chlorine<=0.50.5Oct 2nd06:30 PM
FC Free Chlorine 6 – 8 ppm18Oct 3rd08:00 AM
CC Combined Chlorine<=0.50.5Oct 3rd08:00 AM

Your overnight test should be performed at 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., not at the times you specified. A lot of times if you do not add that one last drop and the solution is slightly pink, you will get a cc reading of .5. At this point, move on and call it a day.

Thanks....

I learn something new all the time here. I didn't know that there was a specific time to perform the overnight test. Thanks for that information.

There are various thoughts. Out of the sun is really the magical answer. Even at 9 p.m. right now and at 7 a.m. should be sufficient, but we say no more than 8 hours. Even testing error is included in this calculation. You are ruling out the sun.

Okay! So I've removed my solar cover and I have it out drying. Should I hose it down or just let it dry? Or does it really matter? Its not dirty at all. I just thought that maybe I need to hose it down from all the chlorine. Not sure.

I've read threads where solar covers don't completely dry off and to clean it with bleach or pressure wash it AND THEN let it dry out? In other words, you don't want algae growing on the solar cover over time.

I'm kind of stuck as to what to do. I guess use bleach to clean it?

Anyone? I mean, do I really need to disinfect it as stated here. Pool is algae free and passed all criteria. closing next week.

If you are not using the pool, then remove the cover and allow to dry. Solar covers dry within hours.

I guess I’ll disinfect the solar cover. No reply yet. LOL. It was probably a dumb question. I’ll disinfect it, let I dry, and store it away. I’ll be having rain for a week so gotta do this now; already started. :)

Yeah! I thought my question was dumb and deserved no answer....LOL...

Thanks Catanzaro for the advise. I went ahead and cleaned the solar cover (back and front) with bleach. rinsed it well and allowed it to dry. It's now stored away. So happy I did this considering it's going to rain for entire week here. ugh.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.