Closing My IG Pool Questions

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
Hey! ;)

So I'll be taking care of the chemicals only for closing, since this will be my first time closing the pool. I intend to watch them (pool store) as they close my pool. However, I find something a bit strange from my conversation with the pool store. They told me that they don't add anti-freeze to vinyl liner pool closing. I asked why, and I was told that they just don't add anti-freeze. Has anyone ever heard of this? 'Cause when I checked the link here, it says to add anti-freeze.

Also, is it possible to SLAM my pool and add PolyQuat the DAY BEFORE the pool store closes my pool? That way, everything is prepared when the Pool Store comes over the in the morning to start their process of closing my pool. I intend to watch them do this so that I'll have a better understanding of how all this is done. I'm a bit nervous doing it myself since it's my first close.

Oh! Can anyone suggest what type of PolyQuat I'll need for my pool? I want to make sure I get the correct kind.

Don't add the poly during or right after a SLAM. The higher FC will just eat-up the algaecide and you'll lose the $$ and effect. Let the FC fall a bit before adding if you chose to use it. As for the Poly 60, Look for a bottle with the active ingredient Poly (oxyethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene (dimethyliminio) ethylene dichloride)........60%. Antifreeze …. not mandatory and really an owner's preference. Just make sure to use RV antifreeze and not regular. Check out this discussion. Hope that helps.

Mendy:

My pool was built in 11-2013. The first year, the pool company supposedly closed the pool as it was under construction. The following year, the pool was then completed and I used the pool company service ($266 later OUCH!). Later, I find out that the PB gets $100 per closing, the side company gets the $150 and the government gets the tax. This was the first and last time this happened.

Carefully, I watched them, took notes, and did a lot of research. Watched videos and purchased my own equipment for my closing the following year. Although, I will recommend you start practicing early on next year so you feel comfortable. Please look at my thread below as it is extremely detailed and I keep adding as more information becomes available.

Concept of closing an IG Swimming Pool

The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

I use zero antifreeze in my lines and we get deep freezing weather here. Some can be added to the skimmer once the gizmo is placed but it’s not needed if you olug the skimmer with cut up old pool noodles a lot of times the pool process is way over thought imo.

Thanks for the information...

Much helpful. It looks like I can do the closing myself, but I'm still going to wait and see how the pool store (PS) does the closing. I'll take a video. I think blowing out the lines is what scares me a bit. Just need to see how it's done. But I will be taking care of the chemicals for the closing part of my IG pool.

Since I'm taking care of the "chemical portion" of the pool closing, when should I begin the SLAM level, Overnight Test, and adding the PolyQ. The PS is coming on the 2nd week of October (on a Thursday- the 11th). Should I start adding the chemicals on Monday (i.e., SLAM, Overnight Test, PolyQ, etc). I want to make sure I do all of this before the PS comes in the morning on Thursday Oct. 11th.

What do you mean by "if my levels drop at your CYA/FC ratio". Isn't my levels supposed to drop to normal after SLAMing and doing the overnight test? Once it passes, I let the FC drift down to normal and then add the Poly-Quat? I think I'm a bit confused.

Sorry. I'm VERY confused I think. Ugh.

You can add Poly-Quat only if the levels drop to your CYA/FC ratio. If not, then no algaecide and you can close at SLAM levels. Even brining up to SLAM 2 hours before closing is a wise idea.

Your overnight test should be done prior to closing, maybe a week prior. You can perform the overnight at normal levels, not elevated levels. Your pool by the end of the season should be clean. The SLAM and then allowing levels to drop is just a precautionary at the end, and nothing else. If you fail the overnight test, that limits the closing day and that is why this should be done ahead of time.

Please see post below.

If you are using Poly-Quat, allow your levels to drift down to your normal CYA/FC levels. If you are not using the algaecide, you can close with the SLAM (higher levels).

You can even bring to SLAM the day before you close as well. There is an interaction between high chlorine levels and the algaecide that does not work.

Even the instructions state to keep your FC at a certain level. Post # 2, quote from (Chem Geek)

Polyquat algaecides: Mode of Action

Ok. Makes sense now. However, why wouldn’t anyone use the PolyQ to prevent Algae? I was going to SLAM my pool. Let the FC drop down and then do an overnight test. If it passes, planned on pouring PolyQ in the pool as directed and then letting the pool store take over. But from your post below, some people don’t even use PolyQ. Why? I mean, the chlorine doesn’t last In the pool so wouldn’t it be more feasible to add the PolyQ after SLAM and overnight pass test?

In otherwords, why only SLAM pool before closing and not use the PolyQ?

Your overnight test should be done prior to closing, maybe a week prior. You can perform the overnight at normal levels, not elevated levels. Your pool by the end of the season should be clean. The SLAM and then allowing levels to drop is just a precautionary at the end, and nothing else. If you fail the overnight test, that limits the closing day and that is why this should be done ahead of time.

Please see post below.

If you are using Poly-Quat, allow your levels to drift down to your normal CYA/FC levels. If you are not using the algaecide, you can close with the SLAM (higher levels).

You can even bring to SLAM the day before you close as well. There is an interaction between high chlorine levels and the algaecide that does not work.

Even the instructions state to keep your FC at a certain level. Post # 2, quote from (Chem Geek)

Polyquat algaecides: Mode of Action

Mendy:

A lot has to do with the cover used and the time that the pool is closed. One is merely stalling the algae until the cold weather. Poly 60 will not last through the early spring with a mesh cover, and neither will chlorine, unless you close real late and open up real early. It is then very possible that chlorine will still be in the pool, along with the algaecide. No way to test for Poly 60 that I know of, but the presence of chlorine can be tested upon opening. This is why one must open early and close as late as possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome information.

Currently, my pool water is below 60 degrees. This is what I plan to do before they close my pool on Oct. 11th. Please let me know if I’m on track.

Wait - my pool water temp is currently below 60 so I’m set here. My pool is also very clean.

Balance - My PH is 7.6, TA is 120 and CH is 60. I don’t think this is too far off line. These have been my values for most of the summer.

SLAM - On October 1st, I will SLAM my pool because closing is scheduled for October 11th. I will hold it there until I pass the overnight test. When it passes, I’ll let the chlorine fall back within normal range.

On October 11th, I’ll add PolyQuat - Adding the startup (maximum) dose of PolyQuat according to package directions. (This is where I get confused. How much do I add given the size of my pool, and is this a “one time” thing until I re-open the pool in April?)

Anyhow, I’ll let the PolyQuat mix for half anhour with the pump running before the Pool Store takes over and starts to drain the pool.

Thanks, in advance, for helping me with this. I just want to make sure that I’m on the right track.

Ok Thanks! I'll let it mix for 12-24hours before the PS starts to close the pool...

However, it says in the direction here to add the startup maximum dose of PolyQuat. What does that mean and is this a "one time addition" until the reopening of the pool in the Spring? And do I add the PQ near the return jet?

In front of a return and also only add the amount stated for the pool. I believe 1 quart is = 20,000 gallons, and this is considered the maximum startup dose. Although, if you have a very large pool, over 40,000 gallons, then you do not need to keep adding 1 quart for each 20,000 gallons. You can reduce the amount as the pool is larger. A total of 2 quarts will treat between 40K-60K, and 3 gallons between 60K-90K. You are again looking to stall through the winter.

So in my case, I'll add 32oz (1 quart) of PolyQ 60. Let the pump run for 12-24 hours and then let the Pool Store close the pool?

Oh! and I only add the PolyQ one time before closing .... yes?

In front of a return and also only add the amount stated for the pool. I believe 1 quart is = 20,000 gallons, and this is considered the maximum startup dose. Although, if you have a very large pool, over 40,000 gallons, then you do not need to keep adding 1 quart for each 20,000 gallons. You can reduce the amount as the pool is larger. A total of 2 quarts will treat between 40K-60K, and 3 gallons between 60K-90K. You are again looking to stall through the winter.

I use zero antifreeze in my lines and we get deep freezing weather here. Some can be added to the skimmer once the gizmo is placed but it’s not needed if you olug the skimmer with cut up old pool noodles a lot of times the pool process is way over thought imo.

You & I can go to the Antarctic and winterize without antifreeze and have no failures.

I use antifreeze for a color indicator when purging complicated and very large systems.

Quick Question!!!

My CYA is 40. I like my CYA up to 50 at least, but I'm wondering if it really matters since I'm closing my pool on the 11th of October. Should I increase my CYA...it's actually 35, but I'm rounding it to 40. Or..should I just leave my CYA alone.

Also, I found the PolyQuat I want to use for my pool. I believe I was told for every 20K, use about 1 quart of PQ (which is about 32oz). Is this product sufficient and is it enough to add to my pool before closing?

Anyone???

Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 5.39.25 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2018-09-28 at 5.39.09 PM.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.