Closing main drain from skimmer and adding antifreeze

Oct 21, 2018
Knoxville
Hi all. Apologies if this is answered fully elsewhere - I looked but cannot find enough non conflicting information to set my mind at rest. Closing my pool for the first time, a Blue Haven pool.

Here is what I did so far to winterize the lines. Dropped the pool below skimmer level, removed filter from inlet and outlet pipes. I used these to then blow air into the pipes until the jets ran just bubbles, then I sealed each jet. Then I blew out the line from pump to skimmer, put some antifreeze into that pipe, placed a gizmo in that threaded hole in the skimmer, drained the pump and blew that out. So far, so good ( I think). However, the skimmer then fills back to the level of the pool, from what I assume is the main drain line, which also opens into the skimmer. I managed to blow air into this to get one of the two main drains blowing bubbles, and then quickly put a cap on that line too. So that leaves me with two questions;

1) Have I blown out the main drain enough, and then created an airlock, that will suffice for winter? If not, how do I improve on this, and potentially add antifreeze, without the water coming back up into the skimmer? Would one of these work? Blow-Thru Valve Winter Pool Plugs - Various Sizes. Do I then leave the main drain line lugged, or leave it open, with antifreeze in the skimmer, assuming this will diffuse down the line and allow expansion into the skimmer should the water in the pipes freeze?

2) I don't see how to add antifreeze easily to the lines to the jets. I could push a rubber hose up the filter outlet pipe, past the point where it raises a couple of feet above this, and pour it in that?

Happy to get pictures if that helps. Any advice much appreciated.

No antifreeze is needed in the return lines as you cleared them properly. How long before the skimmer filled back up? If you quickly plugged the main drain after the bubbling occurred, then you are all set. If you do not feel comfortable with this, you could order a blow-thru plug, but just curious to know if the main drain port that is tied together to the skimmer is threaded or non threaded?

- - - Updated - - -

Please upload a picture if you can.

OK, attached are some pictures. The twin pipes going into the ground (returns?) go to the jets into the pool. The one coming into the pump comes from the skimmer. The 2 open ended pipes were connected to the filter, and this is where I attached the pool blower to blow out return and skimmer lines. I don't see an obvious access point to get antifreeze into the return lines. I could remove the chlorinator, and feed a hose up and over the black valve into each return?

The other picture is the skimmer, with gizmo attached. I did notice there is a slow leak of water back into the skimmer, and it comes from the drain plug that I have in the main drain line. So, I see the main drain line as being full of water. I could open this, put antifreeze into the skimmer, allow it to diffuse into the drain line. Get a replacement drain plug and seal that line, then put antifreeze into the skimmer. Should I plug the main drain line if I am unsure how long the antifreeze will stay in there - as it will spread into the pool slowly? I'm guessing I should go ahead an buy a new plug, or get a blowout plug - blow it out and skip the antifreeze in this line?

IMG_20181022_141215.jpgIMG_20181022_141224.jpgIMG_20181022_141240.jpg

Did you blow air in the main drain and cap it? If so, then it is leaking back in as you do not have a tight seal. Or you could be getting water in from the pool through the skimmer mouth (not sure). You may want to try out a blow out plug. The combination skimmer/main drains are a little tricky, but should be cleared separately for closings.

Trying to plug that skimmer line the way you are doing it is foolish. Save the time and hassle and buy a 4’ section of 1” foam rope. Push it into the hole while having the plug in your hand (the rope pops back out instantly once you let go of it), once it’s in, plug it. Then you blow out the skimmer, install gizmo and you are done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.