Aug 1, 2019
SW British Columbia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello all.
We've reached that time of year when the solar panels are not keeping the pool above 21°C (70°F) so I'm thinking about shutting down for the winter. Some threads on TFP advise "close late, open early" which is the opposite of what I've always done. So what if the pool water is green when we open? There's always the SLAM to take care of that.
Does anyone seriously advise leaving it open well into Fall, and continuing daily testing as well as adding 1-2L of 8.25% bleach every day? I'm thinking that for next year, a CYA level of 40 might be preferable to the 30 that has been my target this year, thereby lessening the bleach requirement.
FWIW, we live in a part of Canada where freezing is rarely an issue. We do on occasion see a layer of ice form on top of the impermeable (sort of) winter cover.

Does anyone seriously advise leaving it open well into Fall, and continuing daily testing as well as adding 1-2L of 8.25% bleach every day
Hey CH !! Yes we advise that, but demand drops greatly this time of year for anybody northerly so there’s less maintenance and additions needed. I just dialed my SWG down to 20% and it will probably still be to high.

Many people close early. Sometimes due to non pool reasons that are more important. If it was to go green, you know how to fix it and you have an endless supply of helpers here to bounce ideas off and help if it’s trickier than normal.

Do what works best for you and we’ll be here if you need.

Thanks ND. I was sure I thanked you earlier for your help, but I guess it didn't show up here. Thank you! The pool is now shut down for the winter.
I did want to inquire whether CYA=40 is felt to be preferable to CYA=30, from the PoV of volumes of bleach needed. Or any other PoV.
And one more question, about a "solar blanket" for the pool-open season: it there a preferred brand or model? What's the best source? Our old one has just been sent to the landfill, after shedding too many plastic scales this year.

Reactions: Newdude
I did want to inquire whether CYA=40 is felt to be preferable to CYA=30
It varies. You only need to raise it to 40 if you are having problems keeping up with the sun. Being so far north you don’t have the problems that they do in the hot climates so you’re probably not going to need to, but it is always an option.
about a "solar blanket" for the pool-open season: it there a preferred brand or model? What's the best source?
The general consensus is they all rip or pop the bubble so find the cheapest one you can and expect to replace it as needed. I got mine from intheswim for the price alone and was very happy with the quality of it when it came.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.