“Closing” in Las Vegas - can’t find closing procedures with “zones” I see mentioned

JenniferMarie90

Feb 16, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Hey friends. I have been browsing the forum to try and avoid posting since I’m sure the info is out there. I see people mentioning zones and I haven’t been able to locate the procedures that include that info. I haven’t closed my pool here in Vegas, I have a solar cover on to protect from leaves and I run the pump still, my SWG is still producing chlorine too. However it’s going to get down into the 30s at night later this week so I’m not sure what else I should do to prepare. I haven’t been able to locate the main drain everyone talks about and I’m also not sure if I should do something to protect this pipe that is connected to my waterfall. (See picture). I’m not sure if it being 30 degrees at night for a few nights Is a big deal or not since It’s my first winter with the pool. Apologies but I did try to google first!

Attachments

• B2B3C4DD-7E3B-4F53-BC10-29C1241FAD51.jpeg
    B2B3C4DD-7E3B-4F53-BC10-29C1241FAD51.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 21
You do not close a pool in our area. You operate it all year managing the pool water chemistry.

For those rare times it stays near freezing for more than a few hours, run your pump at a low rpm for insurance. Unless you have automation (not in your signature). If you do, set up the Freeze protection in it.

Here in Laughlin, I have never had to do it in 7 years.

Reactions: borjis and Newdude
Hey friends. I have been browsing the forum to try and avoid posting since I’m sure the info is out there. I see people mentioning zones and I haven’t been able to locate the procedures that include that info. I haven’t closed my pool here in Vegas, I have a solar cover on to protect from leaves and I run the pump still, my SWG is still producing chlorine too. However it’s going to get down into the 30s at night later this week so I’m not sure what else I should do to prepare. I haven’t been able to locate the main drain everyone talks about and I’m also not sure if I should do something to protect this pipe that is connected to my waterfall. (See picture). I’m not sure if it being 30 degrees at night for a few nights Is a big deal or not since It’s my first winter with the pool. Apologies but I did try to google first!
Water doesn’t freeze until is gets down to less than 32F. And it takes being below that cold for a while before pipes start freezing. Like mknauss mentions, it’ll be fine especially if the pump stays running.

You do not close a pool in our area. You operate it all year managing the pool water chemistry.

For those rare times it stays near freezing for more than a few hours, run your pump at a low rpm for insurance. Unless you have automation (not in your signature). If you do, set up the Freeze protection in it.

Here in Laughlin, I have never had to do it in 7 years.
Ok great thank you. I'm not sure if it has that freeze protection, I need to check but if not, I can change the programming on the pump to run at night for longer. I appreciate it. I was getting nervous! Is that exposed pipe okay too?

Is that exposed pipe okay too?
Yes. If LV is going to see sustained temperature in the 20's then run the pump on low and cover that pipe with an old blanket.

Do you have automation? If not, the VS pump likely has build in freeze protection.

Reactions: JenniferMarie90
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.