Steve Norman

Jun 8, 2019
Hatfield PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Closing my ag pool soon. It seems as though my return is very low on the side of the pool. Lowering the water to 6" below my lowest opening requires me to drain a lot of water. As a result, the cover ends up very low in the pool...and loose when it gets windy. Can I get away with draining below the skimmer and allowing the water level to still be above the return? Or will the cold/freezing cause damage?

Yes you may. Plug the return and remove the pipes from the outside. Lowering the water below the returns was mostly for blowing out the pipes on an inground pool before they came out with valve plugs that you didn’t have to lower the water for. Your pipes are removable (and empty-able) so long as you can plug the return.

Reactions: Steve Norman
I was *just* gonna mention that. Either way works. I am moving and will be closing a semi inground at the new place and I plan on getting the skimmer plug and not lowering. But if the wrong one comes or the right one isn’t available then I’ll drain below the skimmer.

Reactions: Steve Norman
My pool has 2 returns - 1 right below the skimmer height & 1 a foot from the bottom.
I drain below the first one & plug them both then put those faucet covers on the outside after i remove the plumbing

It hasn't rained here for quite some time and my water is really low as is (I hate to think I have ADD water right now, just to make sure the pump doesn't work too hard!) b/c I forgot I should SLAM before adding the Poly 60. But, I am going to try the plug for the return and skimmer plate this year to hopefully save wasting water and having to refill too much. I think after the Poly has been in/cycled for at least a day or two, I'll do one last vacuum to waste to get the level at least to the skimmer line. Fingers crossed!

I use the aquador and a return plug. On the years that I used a solid cover I didn't lower my water level. I would just drain the water from the cover. That kind of got annoying when it would mix with a million leaves. So I switched to a micromesh cover that lets in only rain water and keeps leaves out. Since a lot of rainwater then comes into the pool, that's why I drain in the fall and by the time spring comes around my pool is roughly back to the same level.

But either way I would always plug the return and the skimmer

I use the aquador and a return plug. On the years that I used a solid cover I didn't lower my water level. I would just drain the water from the cover. That kind of got annoying when it would mix with a million leaves. So I switched to a micromesh cover that lets in only rain water and keeps leaves out. Since a lot of rainwater then comes into the pool, that's why I drain in the fall and by the time spring comes around my pool is roughly back to the same level.

But either way I would always plug the return and the skimmer
Can I ask what type of plugs you use? I just bought this for my skimmer:

But I keep seeing "aquador" now and I'm not sure if I need something in addition to the above or if it's just the best brand?

Then for my return, I bought this:

But I'm also seeing people recommend something more like this and I'm not really sure which is better/what the difference is.

Can I ask what type of plugs you use? I just bought this for my skimmer:

But I keep seeing "aquador" now and I'm not sure if I need something in addition to the above or if it's just the best brand?

Then for my return, I bought this:

But I'm also seeing people recommend something more like this and I'm not really sure which is better/what the difference is.

Aquador Widemouth Above Ground Pool Skimmer Cover Kit Model 1010 Amazon.com : Aquador Widemouth Above Ground Pool Skimmer Cover Kit Model 1010 : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Garden & Outdoor

Its like a tupperware lid that has its own faceplate that u replace yours with. It snaps on.

Reactions: jlt19

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can make a skimmer dam (aqua door) by cutting a sheet of rigid foam insulation. Measure your skimmer mouth and cut the sheet to fit snug in the skimmer mouth,

Keep the bottom port of your skimmer opened if you use plugs though so any overflow can escape

I personally use the eliminator winter cover system which includes a skimmer plug and a plug for the eyeball. I have a shutoff at the eye and use that instead.

Reactions: jlt19
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.