Closing a mesh-covered pool early with Polyquat

gwtw

Apr 23, 2018
Kentucky
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just found out that our pool company is coming to close our pool on Friday, which is two weeks earlier than we normally close. Water temperature is 65 degrees and we have a mesh cover, so I plan on adding polyquat as insurance. Before we get our pool ready to close, I have a few questions.
1. Due to the short notice of our pool closing, we can’t get the pool up to shock level today and let it drift down to half shock level before adding the polyquat like is recommended on here because we are only losing 1 ppms of chlorine a day. If CC is .5 or below and the water is clear, will be likely be okay if we skip the shocking? (Right now CC is .5, CYA is 40, PH is 7.8, CH is 210, and TA is 80.) Or should we go ahead and get the water up to shock level now and add the polyquat at close to shock level on Thursday?
2. After getting our water tested when purchasing the polyquat, I was advised by the pool store to add non-chlorine shock to my pool before closing and some phosphate remover since phosphates were 120 because of all of the leaves that are in the pool. Would either of these be helpful if I'm not able to shock my pool with liquid chlorine before closing because of the short notice?
3. Should we lower the PH at closing since it is 7.8 or should we close at this level since we have a mesh cover and rain will lower the PH over the winter? If we need to add muriatic acid to lower the PH, how long do we need to wait after adding the muriatic acid before adding the polyquat?
4. What is the correct dosage for polyquat when closing? I’m using Maintain Pool Pro polyquat 60 and there is no closing dose listed on the bottle. I’m worried that I will have a lot of leaves in my pool the day before closing because high winds and thunderstorms are forecasted so I’m wondering if I should use the visible algae dose which is 11-17 ounces per 10K gallons.
5. Is there anything we could do to prevent getting algae before the water temperature drops below 60 degrees? Would it worth the expense to buy a few tarps to put over our mesh cover to block out more of the sunlight? This early closing worries me because we normally wait until the water temperature is below 60 degrees to close it and always open up to green water. I worry that we will get algae before the water temperature gets below 60 degrees and we will get permanent stains from the algae.

1. Due to the short notice of our pool closing, we can’t get the pool up to shock level today and let it drift down to half shock level before adding the polyquat like is recommended on here because we are only losing 1 ppms of chlorine a day. If CC is .5 or below and the water is clear, will be likely be okay if we skip the shocking? (Right now CC is .5, CYA is 40, PH is 7.8, CH is 210, and TA is 80.) Or should we go ahead and get the water up to shock level now and add the polyquat at close to shock level on Thursday?

Skip the shocking. Just add the PQ at your current FC level.

2. After getting our water tested when purchasing the polyquat, I was advised by the pool store to add non-chlorine shock to my pool before closing and some phosphate remover since phosphates were 120 because of all of the leaves that are in the pool. Would either of these be helpful if I'm not able to shock my pool with liquid chlorine before closing because of the short notice?

Please ignore Pool Store recommendations.

3. Should we lower the PH at closing since it is 7.8 or should we close at this level since we have a mesh cover and rain will lower the PH over the winter? If we need to add muriatic acid to lower the PH, how long do we need to wait after adding the muriatic acid before adding the polyquat?

I would lower the pH to 7.4-7.6 and then add the PQ.

4. What is the correct dosage for polyquat when closing? I’m using Maintain Pool Pro polyquat 60 and there is no closing dose listed on the bottle. I’m worried that I will have a lot of leaves in my pool the day before closing because high winds and thunderstorms are forecasted so I’m wondering if I should use the visible algae dose which is 11-17 ounces per 10K gallons.

10-15 oz per 10K should be fine.

5. Is there anything we could do to prevent getting algae before the water temperature drops below 60 degrees? Would it worth the expense to buy a few tarps to put over our mesh cover to block out more of the sunlight? This early closing worries me because we normally wait until the water temperature is below 60 degrees to close it and always open up to green water. I worry that we will get algae before the water temperature gets below 60 degrees and we will get permanent stains from the algae.

Your 65F is not far off. You will be fine closing.

• Love
Reactions: gwtw
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.