Closed with water temp at 80 degrees and opened clear again

Jwa19

Aug 14, 2018
Manalapan /nj
Closed with the water temp at 80 degrees in September. Opened today to crystal clear pool again. I always close in September usually after Labor day and with water temps usually in the mid 70's. I've been doing this for 21 years in a row now and always opened to a clear pool. The point is it doesn't matter when you close or how cold the water is. I always open in the beginning to middle of May. Water temp on opening was 60 degrees which is what it usually is when I open every year. This is very important opening early while the water is around 60 degrees is what prevents the green monster. Closed with FC around 15 this year because I had extra liquid chlorine that i did't want to store over winter. Usually close with around 6-8 FC level. On opening FC level was 0 which it normally is on opening. So I closed with double the amount of chlorine that I normally do and still was at 0 on opening. Not surprising as chlorine is not going to last 8 months with rain and snowfall over winter. I think the saying should go Close whenever you want to but open early before water temp goes over 60 degrees.

The steps that I follow every year are:

Raise FC level above what ever you normally keep it at in relation to your CYA level, and check that CC level is 0.
Make sure the pool is clean, vacuum and don't leave anything in there.
I have never used any algaecide and I don't open my cover or add anything to the pool until May when I open.

Opening early is key, you want the water temp around 60 degrees when you open. I know that the closing temp is irrelevant because I've done this with success for over 20 years. Just open early and close when it is convenient and makes sense for you. Look it's not going to hurt to wait and close when the water temp is at 60 degrees and if that works for you do it, but it is definitely not necessary. I know they preach close late and open early here. I can't help but believe that someone at the pool store coined that phrase to keep you buying chemicals from them longer.:):)

tempImageKgWg7H.jpg

I can't help but believe that someone at the pool store coined that phrase to keep you buying chemicals from them longer.
Not here. You know how we feel about pool stores. :poke: Still, while you have a couple decades of successful openings, TFP's position is that organic material tends to be less active in colder water. I'm sure that's why you see good results opening early. It may not seem as important at closing (closing with warmer water) only because you have an elevated FC level, then you cover. The FC remains fairly well until the cold weather drops in. Of course there are those who don't do the closing on their own and are forced to depend on the schedule of a company to do it for them.

Regardless, you have a beautiful pool. Congrats on yet another (20th) successful opening. Enjoy your season. :swim:

Let me first say that you have a gorgeous pool set up! I'm jealous of that gazebo/pergola area.

When we bought our house, in the fall prior to us buying it, the prior owner closed the pool "early" because she and her husband were getting divorced, no time for the pool, etc. It was opened mid-April so we could see it prior to closing, with water temps well below 60, and it was an absolute disaster of a swamp. For the past 2 years, we have closed it later in October with temps below 60 and have not seen the return of the green swamp. I do agree that opening early before temps hit 60 is important but no one will change my mind to not close a pool with water temps above 60.

@Jwa19 I closed on Halloween with temps getting fairly cool. Opened two weeks ago to a green pool. Water temp was 52. I'm in Ontario Canada so it's not really that hot up here yet. I did pretty much what you said you go yet my pool was green. I wonder if it's ,u mesh safety cover that lets too much light through. Pool has been open for two weeks and I'm still working on clearing it up with SLAM process. We do have a lot of worms etc from flowerbeds around the pool so maybe that's not helping. Same result last year even though I had a pool company open it. It's slowly improving but very slowly. Sand filter seems to be having a hard time catching up to it. Also, birds this time of year like to fly and drop Crud in the pool constantly. Probably not helping the cause. Would like to open to a clear pool though!

My water temp is 78F today, and I've still not "opened" the pool. Sigh. Maybe this weekend. I have a major cleanup to do as we had a mini microburst blast a lot of dirt in this winter. But otherwise the pool is remarkably stable. SWCGs for the win. But otherwise the water looks really good and tests okay. It's just a major sweep and second filter cleaning this spring will be needed.

At least we can dive in now to do the cleanup and not freeze. We don't actually close in Tucson... we are at the absolute maximum elevation that freezing isn't a problem as long as the power doesn't go out in January.... (if it does I can save everything by pulling the salt cell and depressurizing the system.) I can attest that once the water temperature is about 60F or lower then you can lower the chlorine levels down significantly. I turn the SWCG down from 20% (I have a 40K unit in a 14K pool. during June and July it's set to about 28%) to like 4%. For about a month it often will give me several days of "COLD" and not produce at all, but still not have a bad effect.

Maybe I am lucky that I can run the salt cell at a low level in the winter. I wonder if you guys who close could throw in some bleach a couple of times during the winter... maybe before and after any ice pack you get. I am glad that I don't even know how to close a pool, honestly.

As long as you properly winterize your pool, technically you can close whenever, but closing early with temperatures above 60 though could cause bacteria growth if something somehow gets into your pool.
I have a heater, so I open in May and close in October in New Hampshire. I raise it to slam levels a couple of days before closing and then I add some Polysquat 60.

Closed with the water temp at 80 degrees in September. Opened today to crystal clear pool again
To be fair, in September northeast temps drop from 80 to 45 like they saw a state trooper. So you only need to have enough chlorine to last that short while and you'll be good to go at the early opening.

Once covered the pool holds its chlorone alot longer, most likely making it the couple of weeks if you started at SLAM FC.

To be fair, in September northeast temps drop from 80 to 45 like they saw a state trooper. So you only need to have enough chlorine to last that short while and you'll be good to go at the early opening.

Once covered the pool holds its chlorone alot longer, most likely making it the couple of weeks if you started at SLAM FC.
I couldn't agree more. Its all about raising the chlorine level before closing that is what I have always done and open early. There's no way that chlorine is lasting me 8 months no matter how much I put in and it doesn't have to. Good cover means no sunlight and the water temp drops quickly. Open it up early before water gets to warm and successful opening every year.

Reactions: Newdude
@Jwa19 I closed on Halloween with temps getting fairly cool. Opened two weeks ago to a green pool. Water temp was 52. I'm in Ontario Canada so it's not really that hot up here yet. I did pretty much what you said you go yet my pool was green. I wonder if it's ,u mesh safety cover that lets too much light through. Pool has been open for two weeks and I'm still working on clearing it up with SLAM process. We do have a lot of worms etc from flowerbeds around the pool so maybe that's not helping. Same result last year even though I had a pool company open it. It's slowly improving but very slowly. Sand filter seems to be having a hard time catching up to it. Also, birds this time of year like to fly and drop Crud in the pool constantly. Probably not helping the cause. Would like to open to a clear pool though!
I have had a mesh cover for the last 5 years and have had the same results as when I had a solid cover. I was a little suspicious of the mesh cover when I first got it. They claimed it blocks out 99% of sunlight. I can tell you when the cover first went on I opened two of the straps and looked under the cover. It was sunny out and it was dark under the cover no light on the water. I do have worms on the bottom of the pool when I open but always open clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The point is it doesn't matter when you close or how cold the water is.
I think it probably does matter, That said, you obviously take meticulous care of that beautiful pool and you live in a geographic area where the temps drop MUCH lower and quicker than way down yonder in the land of cotton (can I still say that?)

Many of us rednecks in the deep South have to deal with possible algae issues much longer and many of us spend just a little too much time looking for cool ones in the fridge instead of being more precise with our pool care.

Your point is taken but I suggest attributing that 20+ clear opening to yourself and your discipline rather than Mother Nature.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.