Closed Pool, now empty

Sllabed

May 15, 2022
Mpls
Hello,

I closed down my in ground pool ~1.5 months ago. Out of curiosity today I looked under the winter cover and the pool was almost completely empty. I bought the house last April so this was my 2nd time closing it down. Last year the water level never got that low over the winter (as far as I could tell) and it had a good amount of water when I opened it up both years. I'm guessing I have a leak somewhere? It's a vinyl lined pool and I have no idea how old it is.

Welcome to TFP.

Yeah, sounds like you have a problem.

Not much you can do until spring except line up a liner replacement.

You may want to uncover the pool and brace the walls with 2x4's to prevent the walls from shifting without the water pressure on them.

@Sllabed , sorry to hear about your pool. While it may be a lost cause right now, consider updating your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. It always helps with replies. A lot can happen on 1.5 months, so iit may have slowly leaked out without obvious signs, but if you happen to find the suspect area, let us know. Feel free to post pics of your pool and equipment pad as well.

I'll look into it tomorrow, thanks!

I had concerns over the summer that the water level was dropping quicker than it should, but I didn't look into it as much as I should have as it didn't seem that bad. There was some water leaking at the pump when it ran that I thought was the issue. This is a 22,000 gallon pool (assuming I did the math right), not full, but just a few inches under the return lines that lines that all the water is gone so there's definitely something not right here. The water level was reasonably high when I opened it up the last two years so something has changed. I'm guessing it's the liner, but I really don't have the experience to be sure.

You may be able to monitor what's left to see if it goes down any further. If it stays at a given level that means the hole of sort is at that level. I'd then recommend doing a solid patch job and fill back the water.

@Sllabed , sorry to hear about your pool. While it may be a lost cause right now, consider updating your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. It always helps with replies. A lot can happen on 1.5 months, so iit may have slowly leaked out without obvious signs, but if you happen to find the suspect area, let us know. Feel free to post pics of your pool and equipment pad as well.
Here's what it looks like now. Didn't see any obvious rips. The liner is loose, it wasn't when I closed it down, not sure if that is the culprit or caused by the loss of water.

Welcome to TFP.

Yeah, sounds like you have a problem.

Not much you can do until spring except line up a liner replacement.

You may want to uncover the pool and brace the walls with 2x4's to prevent the walls from shifting without the water pressure on them.

How do you go about bracing the walls with 2x4s? Just wedge them between the bottom and the walls? Should I just take the cover off and leave it off? I'd imagine all the snow on the cover would bring a lot of pressure on the walls

It's all pointing to the main drain area in probability but I wonder if for some reason there's hydrostatic valve there that's leaking eventhough vinyl pools don't usually have it or perhaps a hydrostatic valve location behind the grill that is plugged and now leaking

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's all pointing to the main drain area in probability but I wonder if for some reason there's hydrostatic valve there that's leaking eventhough vinyl pools don't usually have it or perhaps a hydrostatic valve location behind the grill that is plugged and now leaking

Reactions: Mdragger88
How do you go about bracing the walls with 2x4s? Just wedge them between the bottom and the walls? Should I just take the cover off and leave it off? I'd imagine all the snow on the cover would bring a lot of pressure on the walls
Take the cover off

Just saw your pic-
That liner has seen better days - may wanna get some quotes. Even if the drain is the current culprit of the leak.

Reactions: Casey
If you are ready for a liner get that going.

In the mean time, you could try plugging the main drain from in the pool. put some water in and see if it holds. If it does fill and wait to replace the liner in the early spring. If you figure out the issue and fix it now great, otherwise that's a sping challenge.

Could also put a large patch over the entire drain so you can fill.

I would be concerned that the walls could move over the winter if empty or not filled.

If there any pool/patio reno dreams and the funds are available. Doing it before the liner is replaces is the ideal. Otherwise it's put it off till next liner replacement or factor a new liner into project cost.

You need to place some 2x4 vertical along the walls and then nail some 2x4 X braces to hold it up if the pool will sit empty over the winter.

Thanks for the help everyone. I had someone come out and test the main drain and that's not the problem, there are some rips in the liner that are causing the leak. Going to talk to a couple of companies and see if anyone can get a new liner in this year yet otherwise I'll do the 2x4 thing to reinforce the walls.

Heard back from a company today. They won't be able to get a new liner in this year (I'm in MN and it will be very cold soon), but they offered to put in a temporary liner for free if I put a 50% deposit down on getting a new one installed in the spring. They quoted me ~$6500 for a new liner installed, no idea if that is a good price or not, no one else has been getting back to me. Pool is 16x36. The place has good reviews online if that means anything.

Never heard of a temporary liner 🧐
I have to imagine it would be the same process as any other liner so why not just do that?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.