Close Pool/Keep Spa Open

mmcwhorter

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 13, 2015
Huntingtown, MD
Does anyone see an issue or problem with leaving the spa open longer than the pool?

We prefer the Spa during 40-55 F temperatures, as opposed to the summer.

I closed the pool, using the usual techniques...blowing out the pool returns thru both skimmers, RV antifreeze, Gizmo in skimmer, and using adjustable diameter freeze plugs for the three returns back into the pool while the air if coming out of the return. The Jandy valves from the skimmers are then closed, and the Jandy return valves into the pool returns are also closed, and I pull the Weir doors out. Ran SLAM before all this, and balanced around 7.2-7.4... The only open lines left are from the spa bottom drain and to the spa returns. I have the filter and heater still operational as you'd expect.

We closed the pool earlier than normal this year because quite honestly, it's been way colder here than normal, leaves are falling early...and we are doing a nearby backyard wood to Trex decking replacement project next week that makes sense to protect the pool.

Thanks

If you have freeze protection on your pump or leave it on during the night I think you should be good to go... You hit the nail on the head as to why we recommend stand alone spas so you can use them all winter long instead of closing them when most would use them.. :)

I'll close the spa portion usually before it freezes. Keeping an eagle eye on temps, but in an emergency with an unexpected temp drop below the freezing point ...for sure I'll run it all night. With the pool cover on, my skimmers are exposed so I can easily blow out the heater and plug the spa returns, and drain the filter/pump. The prior owner of the house installed a huge Jacuzzi spa in the Master Bath, so indeed we are covered year-round. 😀

• Love
Reactions: cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.