Central Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I live in central Virginia. Winters can be mild; however, we do get streaks of temperatures low as the 20s for a few days with highs in the 30s during January and February. I have heard people running their pumps 24/7 in the winter and others winterizing/closing their pool. This will be my first winter with an inground SWG pool (no spa)/variable speed pump, so not sure which way to go on this. My equipment is currently exposed with no structure on top of it. I do not want my equipment or the pipes to be damaged during the winter. Any thoughts?

If you are in VA you should winterize your pool properly. Lower water level, drain equipment, put in plugs and antifreeze and cover the pool. I have it done professionally for around $350.

You have a generator in case you lose power in a winter storm? You have a spare pool pump you can install if your pump dies during freezing weather?

If you are not prepared to keep the water flowing in the cold then close the pool. Every year we have some panicked members whose pumps stopped during freezing conditions.

Glad someone else brought this up. In Alabama it seems a mixed bag as to people who leave their pool open year 'round vs. closing and covering. With my first winter as a pool owner coming up, I've wondered what the best course of action is. We have a few nights (maybe 10-15) every year where the weather dips down below the freezing mark for maybe up to 12 hours, and occasionally we'll have a 36-hour period of sustained sub-zero temps. Ever so often we'll have freak winter storms or polar surges that plunge us below freezing for 2-3 days. Power loss has never been an issue for any of these circumstances, so conceivably I don't expect running the pump 24/7 to be an issue during freezes unless it just bites the dust due to age and temp. At what temps are pump motors susceptible to biting the big one? Previous owner covered with a mesh net throughout winter and ran pump continuously during freezing periods and reported no issues.

Read

Pump motors die when they decide to. Nothing to do with the temperature usually.

Reactions: PointeTaken
Read

Pump motors die when they decide to. Nothing to do with the temperature usually.

Thanks for posting that link, I'm going to give it a good read. As someone who sells equipment, much of which have electric motors in it, I can confirm that electrical motors have reduced magnetization as the ambient temperature decreases, which increases the load/strain on the motor. A motor that's nearing end of life can very well reach its demise faster in cold temperatures.

Thanks for the feedback all. I was tempting to keep it open I. The winter so that I do not have to wait for a while for a company to come and open the pool in the Spring. I sounds like it would be best to close it. How easy is it to open a winterized pool myself if I do not want to wait for a company to open it?

Thanks for the feedback all. I was tempting to keep it open I. The winter so that I do not have to wait for a while for a company to come and open the pool in the Spring. I sounds like it would be best to close it. How easy is it to open a winterized pool myself if I do not want to wait for a company to open it?

It is simple to open I open myself. The only reason I have them winterize is to get the lines blown out properly and anti-freeze put in. I just put all the drain plugs back in, remove all the line plugs, fill the pool, and turn everything back on.

Opening is a lot easier then closing a pool.

- Reinstall any removed equipment
- Remove the plugs
- Open the valves
- Fill the pool with water
- Turn on pump
- Start checking CYA level and add CYA, FC, and adjust pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the reason to cover pool?
I read ice can damage liner, but there are 2 type of cover, 1st laying on water, 2nd sit over water on wires. 2nd type does not protect liner at all.

I know my pool will looks like a swamp next spring, but it's OK.

Yes, I will winterize pump, filter, lines, skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.