Clorox Calcium Hardness Increaser - Staining?

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So my calcium has always been a bit low and I have just managed CSI by letting the pH be a bit on the high end of 7.8 or so.

With the new PoolMath update, it kept telling me my calcium was low (200) so when I was at Lowes this weekend I picked up a bag of calcium hardness increaser. It was made by Clorox, which I have read bad things about some of their pool products, but that was my only choice and I thought calcium was calcium.

I put half the 5lb bag in the deep end and brushed a bit, seemed pretty easy. This morning there are several rusty spots by the drain. WTH. I brushed again and that didnt seem to work so I have the robot working now. The spots are small and look like a handful of the granuals rusted, similar to what iron fertilizer pellets do to your sidewalk.

Has anyone run into this and have thoughts on what I should do? Until then, I'm avoiding all Clorox products, especially for the pool %*#$#&$!

I'm avoiding all Clorox products, especially for the pool %*#$#&$!

Lesson learned. I will never touch or recommend Clorox pool products and question any Clorox product.

Try Vitamin C on the stains assuming it is iron.

Thanks. Since the spots are 6 feet down, any concerns with me waiting a few weeks until I can dive down there (sober) and try the vitamin C?

I would put some craushed vitamin C tablets wraped in a light cloth and duct tape it to the end of a pool pole and hold it down over the stain. Maybe weight the cloth bag a bit. You just want concentrated ascorbic acid water on and around the stains.

I didnt have any vitamin C, and the wife forgot to grab some in her store outing yesterday. My turn is next, so I'll make sure and grab it.
I was hoping the spot would magically go away, but its still there. Below you can see the beautiful TFP water that is crystal clear, even at 6ft deep, and then this stupid rust spot.

Moral of the story, don't ever use Chlorox products in your pool. Not their bleach, their pool salt, their calcium increaser for pools, etc. I even updated my signature to make me feel better :)

1586351773450.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.