Clorinated well plus hot water heater

cfherrman

TFP Guide
May 10, 2017
Hays, Kansas
I just did a bunch of work on my house water system with a new water heater, and better arrangement of pipes for my pump tank and whole house filter, I used used brass 1" fitting and valves from a oil well (over $200 for free) cleaned them up and flushed the lines. I'm getting a new water softener next week.

Being a clorine fiend since being on this site I clorinated my water well. Got all my house pex lines to around 15 fc, burnt orange on the oto, and letting it sit for 24 hrs, or 1 pm on Sunday.

The thing I forgot about is my water heater, it's off, I wish to turn it back on to 130 degrees to take a shower tonight, will that be a big deal?

Home along, wife and kids went summer shopping won't be back till tomorrow.

Thanks!

IMG_20180317_121820.jpg

Well I'm not sure what you finally did, but 15 ppm FC was a little high to take a shower in. However, once you ran a couple gallons of water through the lines it would be much less than that.

Turning on the water heater wouldn't necessarily been a problem.

Did not see this until this morning (Sunday). Did you end up getting to take a shower? I am guessing you had to flush the lines as my water heater will not move water without my water line being open. I am on a well so that might be different.

Yeah I turned the heater off and flushed all the lines except the washer and dish washer, because I forgot to run them yesterday. I ran the hot water 15 mins to get enough clorine in the tank. I took a shower late last night and it wasn't bad, I think it was pretty light on the fc running it got more diluted.

The father in law always did this, to the annoyance to his family, and I always wanted to even though I had no signs to. If your on a well (I am too) I think you should definitely do this as i smelled a lot of cc's when flushing the lines and now I know that everything is clear.

I'll run the washer and dish washer soon, fill up both bath tubs to re used the clorine, and re used the fc by filling the pool.

I found a article that differed from the way the fill did it.

First, fill up a gallon or two of water in the fridge, I'm thirsty! Take a shower.

Pop the cap on the well and pour a gallon of bleach along all the walls of the casing, run the garden hose into the well and wash the walls down with water and then keep going untill you get clorine. I tested a few times with oto and got zero then I started taking out the hose and testing with my mouth. Once I felt clorine I tested and got burnt orange. Turn hose off, recap well. Note I had strong cc smell at well before I got fc in hose.

I turned off the water heater but article didn't mention that. Flush your hot and cold water in the house till you smell clorine, I did not test the cold with oto, I tested the hot with oto after 15-20 mins and got burnt orange, I flushed all the hot faucets in the house after that.

I flushed the toilets three times didn't bother testing, didn't smell anything. I was going to run the dishes and 'clean washer with bleach only' last night but forgot. I ran clean washer twice today, no bleach was needed. My towels always have a smell even when washed I really hope this fixes that.

Article said to wait 24 hours, then flush clean. It's 24 right now I'm gonna fill up the tubs and the rest is going into the pool.

edit: https://www.skillingsandsons.com/how-to-chlorinate-your-well/

I'll post back results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hummmmm no way to open my well that I know of. I do have a big tank the pump sends water to right beside my well pump. I will take and share a pic when the sun comes up.

I will say my water is GREAT! It does not test for any bad stuff and is a joy to drink so I am not too worried. Just thinking it might not be a bad idea to clean the pipes.

There is a table for how much bleach you should use based on casing depth and how deep the over drilling was. Bleaching out the well casing is a standard thing to do on new potable well systems. Its also a pretty standard thing to do when ever you replace the pump.

Pretty good info HERE and HERE

The only thing that would need any sort of routine sanitation with chlorine would be a filter you change out on a regular basis. I always add a very small amount of bleach into the filter housing when I put a new filter in.

Neat reads! I am going to give my well a once over after reading those links. This is one part of our house/property I know very little about. I think it is time I start learning!

The one thing I DO know is that my well goes down to a underground spring and river. It is called "sweet water river and spring" because the water is SO clear and clean of any "bad" stuff.

Thanks for all of the background, teaching, and links! You are awesome! :hug:

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.