Clogged main line return

Mikea

May 17, 2009
I need help. I purchased a house with a 4 year old pool ( 30K gal). First thing I did was convert to salt but now I feel that for whatever reason the main suction line might have gunk over the years from either neglect or inadequate suction or debris that is lying in the pipe to the pump. Its about a 30 foot run.

I would like to somehow either blow out the Crud or remove it ( assuming its there). I had thought about adding a nipple somehow and forcing air backwards to the pool's two drain ports but there are two sharp right angle 1 1/2 pipe right angles right off of the Hayward value and no room to mess with it.

How can I flush the main line? I brush debris (dust mostly from the Texas high winds) over the suction drains and it just sits there and laughs at me despite the fact that I have the valve all the way to bottom suction. I just bought a vacuum line to go via the above ground filter to get the immediate bottom fodder but the fact of the matter is that the main return flow is still constricted.

I don,t want to bypass any threads with important thoughts on the matter but if anyone has legitimate response to my issue. Please feel free to post here and send me an email to [email protected] with a method of clearing my lines.

Thanks

Mike

The visible suction on a main drain is very slight. This is due to safety features in the design. If your pump operates without losing prime with the valve set to the drain, I don't think you have a problem. If you think you do, you can try forcing water back through the drain with a Drain King and a garden hose.

Mikea said:
There is suction but I do get some air cavitation when the valve is all the way to bottom so I think that it telling me that its a bit of a strain. I will try your option.

Mike

A little air wouldn't be abnormal when trying to pull from only the drain. I get bubbles when I set mine to more than about 80% drain or skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.