Clearing Orange Water

Matt N

Apr 12, 2023
Watkins Glen, NY
Hey all - I just wanted to let anyone that needs to rectify an "Orange Water" problem. Years ago, I opened our 'above-ground' pool and immediately added chlorine. To my horror, the water turned Orange(ish)- Red. It turns out that chlorine reacted with my well-water which has a lot of Iron in it. Apparently, the chlorine reacts with the iron and oxidizes. I found a solution to the problem then. I had to recirculate my water through a 'home-made' filter filled with floss (like in a pillow)- which worked!

So now, I just had the same problem when I opened our little blow-up spa. I took the cloth filters out and stuffed floss into the filter housing. This is working as well. I'll replace the cloth filters when the process is complete. I will post pictures of the process so you can better understand. anyway, I hope this helps someone out there with the same issue.
orange spa.jpg spa floss1.jpgspa floss 2.jpg

Hey Matt and Welcome !!!!

At the bottom of the page, is the TFP Wiki. We have gobs of common work arounds and details there, like this one.

Check out the Pool Care Basics and fire off any questions in the appropriate sub forum. :)

Hey Matt and Welcome !!!!

At the bottom of the page, is the TFP Wiki. We have gobs of common work arounds and details there, like this one.

Check out the Pool Care Basics and fire off any questions in the appropriate sub forum. :)
Well, I knew there had to be something on here lol. The "polyfill" bucket was my solution for the pool :) This little work around turned out great for my Saluspa today

spa clear.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
full

• Haha
Reactions: Matt N
Welcome to TFP 🤗
Glad you sorted it out 👍🏻
Don’t forget to read the guide
👇

Well, I knew there had to be something on here lol. The "polyfill" bucket was my solution for the pool :) This little work around turned out great for my Saluspa today

View attachment 482194
Headed out for floss and try this!! Very glad to have something seems a better answer then those tablets! None of my numbers are off so knew it had to have been something in the water from the hose!! Literally yesterday I added water and today it's orange. Before and after pics to come. 🤞

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.